SPS Collectors Please Read

bhuddafunk

Guys this is important we only have till midnight to voice our opinion on this ruling. If these species become endangered it will automatically make the coral we have that are on the list illegal and we would most likely be required to kill them or face large fines. While I personally think that wild collection should be limited I do not agree that what is currently in private hands should either become illegal or we should be required to kill our colonies. I personally feel that I'm already doing more then the government is simply by keeping these species alive in my private collection.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2012/11/82corals.html

Remember there is a place on the link where you can voice your opinion. I gave them my opinion and from what I have been told this stuff is looked at. You have up till midnight tonight to voice your opinion. Remember silence is consent, and his may be your only chance to say something.

This is insane. I just don't see how they are tying the two together. Us keeping SPS in personal aquariums vs harvesting frags/colonies is so much different. I do agree that wild harvesting should very well be limited. But for them to require us to dispose of what we have is going backwards. If they knew what we did and the money we spent on systems to keep these species alive they might be a little surprised. And it very could be the personal hobbyist who could save an entire species if it went extinct in the wild. I definitely commented on this, although I don't really keep SPS I can't imagine the hobby without it.

I can see it now all of us in county lock up together. And Roger pushing sps frags on the corner. Geesh they need to get real!

Not entirely true.

If placed on the list, you can keep what you already have. You can give it away. But, you cannot sell it, trade it or take it accross state lines.

that said, still ridiculuous and please comment!

No problem. I was just reading that the Gulf will be dead in a couple years.Do to the BP Spill. killing all life it comes in contact with. This was not the first spill and wont be the last.

Not entirely true.

If placed on the list, you can keep what you already have. You can give it away. But, you cannot sell it, trade it or take it accross state lines.

that said, still ridiculuous and please comment!

If you are correct in your statement I feel much better;however I still agree it's kind of messed up and makes no sense. This is an opinion piece that I read but I"m sure this person is more knowledgable then I am on these topics:

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/04/04/commentary-noaas-20122013-66-coral-esa-proposal/

Quoted this from another thread on RC... Seems like a lot of hype for nothing...

This is from someone on another site who spoke directly with the NOAA. This seems to paint a less severe picture of the proposed regulations.

***FACTS***

You can own any specimen on the list,

You can continue to own them, even after the classification,

You can transport them across state lines but not for commercial purposes, and not internationally,

You can give or receive any specimens on the list for free (IE frag swaps and giving frags to friends) but no money or services/goods can be exchanged,

Most on the list are being classified as "threatened" not "endangered" which means there will be even more "exclusions and circumstances" that ALLOW for ownership and the likes, INCLUDING CAPTIVE RAISED SPECIMENS,

Other rights and privledges are available if you own the specimen prior to the new classifications.

Again hopefully this clarifies some info for people that seem to be confused.

Whatever you decide to comment...... I only ask you do 20 minutes of reading before doing so.

Back