sps dying from the base up

Here is a link on how to do it. I never did water changes or carbon, just turned off skimmer. If it was not for interceptor all of us would not have acros right now. I heard of some stuff called Sentinel that might work but not sure.

http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic45859.html

Thanks Emster I will look into it .....I just got home and one of my I think its a type of stag is starting to die from the base up and has a bunch of black looking particles in the dead area just like the dead acro had .....I'm gonna have to start cutting the tops off to try and save thes corals ...

Looking for Interceptor. Looks like its not made anymore. Sentinel is made by the same company and the web site says it has the same ingredients in it but some other things 2. If some one finds Interceptor please let me know.

I have a thought, and a personal experience. When I had my phosphate reactor set at a high flow rate I noticed my corals starting to bleach. I immediately thought it was my salinity. Everything was normal, but my phosphate levels were reading 0. Now we all dislike phosphates, BUT we cannot strip it all out because the corals require this as food. This caused 3 of my corals to bleach. IF you do have a phosphate reactor please turn it off for a few days and see if your colors start to regain color.

If you need any specific help on this you can email me support@spectrapure.com

Jeremy

looks like a new study was released on Vermetids again (By Jeff Shima again):

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2010/05/18/rsbl.2010.0291.full

Our field experiments demonstrate that vermetids can have deleterious effects on four species of coral. Ambient densities of D. maximum reduced coral growth by up to 82 per cent and survival by up to 52 per cent. Experimental results were concordant with field surveys, in which vermetid densities were positively correlated with dead coral for P. lobata, P. rus and Pocillopora, but not Montipora. Two other studies (one experiment in Guam: Colgan 1985; and one observational study in the Red Sea: Zvuloni et al. 2008) suggest the negative effects of vermetids on corals, which we observed in Moorea may also occur in other locations. Our research strengthens and extends the inferences drawn from these previous two studies (one based upon correlative evidence, the other published in symposium proceedings; both focused on a single coral species). Importantly, our field experiments demonstrate interspecific variation in the responses of corals to D. maximum, which collectively suggest that vermetids may alter the structure of coral communities (e.g. electronic supplementary material, appendix C).

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/vermetid-snails-harm-coral-reefs-with-multiprong-attack
There are no proven predators for vermetid so reefkeepers should try to manually eradicate them when spotted.

Reefkeepers report hit-and-miss success with biological control using mithrax crabs, hermit crabs, and coris, halichoeres, and six-line wrasses. Sure-fire methods to kill vermetid include covering the ends of their tube openings with superglue gel, reef-safe epoxy, and injecting caustic chemicals such as HCl (muriatic acid) and NaOH (lye), the latter being a better option around calcareous live rock.

pretty much same issue here. this just started a couple weeks ago and i'm about to lose my last 2 acros. no other corals have been affected. since my acro population is low, i might just save myself the trouble and let them go. i was thinking it was something in the water my rodi unit wasn't catching, bacterial infection, or pest. i have changed/replaced almost everything in my tank and it hasn't slowed. assuming i just let the last 2 go, how long should i wait before putting acros back in assuming it's bacterial or a pest? is it like monti nudis and starving them for like 3-4 months?

Back