sps dying from the base up

Have you totally checked for red bugs? What is your potassium level (K)? If you have your level back at where you were and still "rapid" STN, not sure I am going to go with ALK .... just my opinion

I looked last night with a flashlight and even during the day i don`t see anything resembling red bugs....

sirrealism I do not believe going from 8.8 to 6.9 in a couple weeks is going to start this issue. To me its not a big enough swing. JMO. With all the info given in this post I would think your issue is something else. [/QUOTE said:
do you think it could be the water? chlorine ? do peppermint shrimp eat corals or coral banded shrimp maybe a dumb ?

The whole thing is crazy I'm looking in the tank and one small mili colony is dying from the base up completely dead at the bottom and yet the rest of it looks great full polyp extension great color but yet slowly dying everyday till it reaches the top.. This is like cancer for corals should I attempt to amputate the living section to try at least save what I can or is the coral itself sick even know it looks healthy on top...thanks

I would think it might be water but then again who knows since I am going through the same thing. One thing that I started doing and have not done in a couple months is when I make my water I still use a chlorine remover just in case. I am going to grab a bottle today because if they flushed the system or what ever I dont just trust my RODI system to get everything out. I dont have the carbon unit to remove the chlorimines.
What is so strange is now there is 5 of use going through the same thing.

I would think it might be water but then again who knows since I am going through the same thing. One thing that I started doing and have not done in a couple months is when I make my water I still use a chlorine remover just in case. I am going to grab a bottle today because if they flushed the system or what ever I dont just trust my RODI system to get everything out. I dont have the carbon unit to remove the chlorimines.
What is so strange is now there is 5 of use going through the same thing.

U know I think it is strange that every year around the same time this happens first year for me but others have responded with that claim maybe it is......u know i just started running carbon in one of my media rractors in my sump 3 weeks ago could that hurt any sensitive sps or am I sounding crazy....

You can definitely run too much carbon and it can cause SPS damage. I found out the hard way switching to ROX one time and lost some. I switched back to what I had always run and things go better. I was having RTN at the tips although, not the base.

Somewhere in the RC forum there is some stuff written by spectrapure on Chloramines. I run their MaxCap and that is why I bought, but I can't get to the link right now to point you directly at it.

I feel your pain, it stinks trying to find out why your stuff is melting in front of your eyes.

I just removed the last piece that died i noticed black looking slivers all over this dead coral it was somewhat alive yesterday ,,,,,they look like small metal shavings or graphite particles i used a jewelers eye loop to look closer and i`m now wondering about vertimide snails again (TED) you will like these pics i have a wonderful ( sarcasm ) colony of vertimide snails in my collection now i see hundreds of maybe babies all over this coral skeleton that was alive yesterday but was dying from the base up...hopefully i`m wrong but heres the best photos i can produce....note i have had vertimide snails for sometime and most of my corals just keep growing right over the tubes as the tube gets longer the coral keeps growing over it so thats cool for those corals but acros will not grow like that....

Attachments

• CAM00410.jpg
    CAM00410.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1
  • CAM00412.jpg
    CAM00412.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
  • CAM00415.jpg
    CAM00415.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
  • CAM00417.jpg
    CAM00417.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1
  • CAM00420.jpg
    CAM00420.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
More pics ....Now i`m not claiming that these caused the coral to die from the base up but i`m sure it probably doesn`t help

Attachments

• CAM00422.jpg
    CAM00422.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
  • CAM00425.jpg
    CAM00425.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
Wow interesting pictures.

I too have has some loss once again this year. Same months as last year. Changed all my filters again yesterday even though they r not that old. Hope it's not to late already :(

wow. I dont know if that caused it but I know for a fact it did not help. I can honestly say mine do not look like that. Nor have I lost more then 2 frags completely. about 5 that I have had to cut the bottom off and refrag, Man I feel your pain. I hope its all over. So what are the names of the corals you lost. Just want to compare with everyone so maybe its just one type or familly of corals we are all loosing.

possibly - but you need to make sure it's the cause and not occurring after the fact. I've never seen vermetid growth like that.

possibly - but you need to make sure it's the cause and not occurring after the fact. I've never seen vermetid growth like that.

the growth on my rocks that are at least 1/4 tall grow in groups or clusters just like that

Are they only on corals from a certain source? Makes me afraid to buy any new frags :(

no i have recieved frags from most of everyone on here i would not say that at all..... in fact the mili colony that is dying right now i recieved almost 7 months ago and its now dying and i had vermetid snails from the get go....

Sorry don't have time to read all this but I've seen Red Bugs do this to tanks. Is it just the acro and milis? Red bugs can be white and also black. They are very very hard to see. If you can find some interceptor you will see a difference in about a day or two of treating the tank. If you have not been using interceptor on your new frags(SPS) introduced then you most likely have red bugs. For all we know they could be clear too.

I have a friend that just had this same thing happen to him. They are going around. I'm not saying this is your problem but could be. For the people out there that have acro frags and did not use interceptor you probably have them and don't know it. It takes many many months for them to spread and populate. Just a heads up for all you acro sps keepers

Sorry don't have time to read all this but I've seen Red Bugs do this to tanks. Is it just the acro and milis? Red bugs can be white and also black. They are very very hard to see. If you can find some interceptor you will see a difference in about a day or two of treating the tank. If you have not been using interceptor on your new frags(SPS) introduced then you most likely have red bugs. For all we know they could be clear too.

I have a friend that just had this same thing happen to him. They are going around. I'm not saying this is your problem but could be. For the people out there that have acro frags and did not use interceptor you probably have them and don't know it. It takes many many months for them to spread and populate. Just a heads up for all you acro sps keepers

Yes its mainly the acros 4 of them so far and my first mili colony are dying everything else looks really good Monti. Spongeo.chalices. stylo.birdnest.digi ...ect....

So I can just add interceptor directly in the tank ? Where do I buy it

Yes but it's not invert safe so need to remove shrimp, crabs, snails. Do a search on here on how to use. It's been years since I have done it but do water Chang after and run carbon after. Then repeat in a week. All fine and good but getting it from what I understand is hard I hear they don't make it anymore and u needed a prescription.

Back