SPS Help.... Spacing requirements

DallasSVT

Hello all. I am just starting to get into keeping SPS and have seen some amazing tanks where it looks like the corals are touching one another, Iknow Monit's can. How is this done?

Are there certain SPS corals that can be close to each other, even touching?

What are some good Types of SPS to start with?

Thanks,

Dallas

Tank info: 90g display, 75G sump/refugium. 2 x 250W MH, 2x Ecotech MP40ES

acropora "red digitata"... I started with one little guy about the size of my pinky... Scared as all hell he wouldn't make it... HE LIVED!

To me it was the perfect test for my tank at the time.. getting a small piece of the red digita is not hard... they are everywhere..

My tank was running for about five months before I tried it though and the Coraline algae was there also (that's major). Gotta have some Coraline in there... somewhere.. If you do it means your doing something right and chances are you wont be disappointed..

In general I had a metal halide, deltec protein skimmer, calcium reactor, power heads, lots of live sand and tons of live rock... And who could forget the water change! your water changes should be intense!

Just keep in mind with SPS... Strong light, swift flow, water changes.

If he's looking good/great after about three to four weeks....
Chances are your looking pretty good.
The thing with SPS is they let you know really quick when they are unhappy... Good Luck!

Last edited:
Some of my montipora tolerate touching each other, others don't. Same goes with my acropora, some do, some don't. They work it out, and if one is really nasty to another, I move one of them. My Prism Favia is a brute, has about a 1.5 inch kill zone around it. He's got his own private rock now.

As far as good SPS to start with, I'd go with montipora caps. Mine have always done well and its easy to see their growth, which is always encouraging. When you're ready to try acropora, my vote would be a green slimer. Hardy, fast grower, cool color and growth form.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys!

My Tank is covered with Coraline and mi Monti has doubled in size over the last couple of months. Is there a "gap" coral between the easy monti and the Acro? How about a birdsnest?

My whole design for this tank was Lots of light, tons of flow and a HUGE refugium for nutrient transport! :dance:

Dallas

Yes, pink or green birdsnests are a good choice or any pocillopora. After that consider, getting frags from other reefers. ORA corals make good choices too. Don't try any wild colonies b/c they can go down fast.

Back