SRO XP-5000 EXT starting to haze/crack

UP Hog Head

I have a Reef Octopus SRO XP-5000 EXT and the cone has an area that has a crack/hazing. The skimmer is in my pantry and is never exposed to any harsh light or bumping. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks

I have 3 RO skimmers in my fish room and the 2 SROs, a 5000 and 8000 look like new when I clean them up. They had ozone run through them for years. The 150 has been out of service 5 years, It looks new as well.
I am going to guess what you are seeing is from the materials it was made with when it was manufactured. I have seen other peoples skimmers that have done this and various causes are offered but there is no way to know what actually caused it , if anything.

i had a couple reef dynamics skimmers and one crazed with the other being fine for years. the crazed one worked fine too so i wouldn't worry.
Same happened to one of my old octo HOBs.

My best guess from what i've read is the process when the acrylic is manufactured.

The acrylic is usually heat treated (normalizing/annealing) in the process and once in a while something must be off and the acrylic gets a little too brittle.

Back