Stand choice for 275 gallon tank

Sinekal

I thought I would start here as I am sure many of you have dealt with a similar choice. I am about to order a new display tank from DSA. It will be about 275 gallons, 60x42x25. Rather than have an internal or external overflow the tank is divided into two areas, with 36" for the display, and the overflow takes up the final 6". I am crazy excited about this tank, but thats another topic :fun2:

I have been planning on going with a steel stand mainly because this is my dream tank and I intend for it to stick around a long time, and I love the idea of built in leveling feet. The tank will be in a fish room, so the added space under the tank is not a primary need here, but its certainly not a bad thing either.

Like most of you I have a slab foundation. I tore through it before and as I remember its at least 3 or 4", maybe 5 or 6. Underneath is 6"-18" of soil that is heavy on gravel, and then its solid granite. I am right near a mountain so we dont have much soil here.

In theory even a 3" slab should be able to hold the full weight of the tank on a small point, but it would be pushing the limit, particularly if the area underneath isnt offering sufficient support.

I have been thinking about switching to a wood stand, or stick with steel but no leveling feet, just to ensure I can spread the weight more. I am also thinking that I am over thinking this, as I have seen many larger builds on here that we in AZ slabs and steel stands.

Any advice, or opinions on which route to go and and why, would be much appreciated.

You are way over thinking it :) . If you want adjustable feet the concrete slab will hold the load. The average slab is going to be in the 2000 to 2500 psi concrete. If you put 3 to 4 feet across the front and the same across the back of the stand you will have sufficiently spread the load.

Buy the stand from dsa, you get a 7 year warranty with it. If not your tank only comes with a one year warranty.

I have asked a few people and all told me I'm overthinking it. I'm going with the feet. Either way I'm definitely going with DsA stand given the warranty, and the cool drip pan :)

I don't know if your going to get the drip tray. My 190 does not have it but my 65 neo does. I think only the Neo tanks come with the plastic drip tray.

Yeah, its awesome. If you're ordering custom make sure you have some kind of door on the sides of the stand.

Problem with the DSA stands, IMO, they are generic. I too am getting my tank, 300G, from DSA but they only offer one style for the stand. For me, since this my forever stand, it is really important the stand looks the part as well.

Back