Starry Blenny Review

ReeferBatman

Almost 2 years ago, I started my tank and one of it's first inhabitants was a Starry Blenny. I took him home and my cousin [not a fish guy] though he was called a Benny. So that became his name.

Benny the Blenny was very quickly a favorite addition to the tank.

010aa.jpg

A few months after Benny moved in I had a heater break and heat my tank to 97 degrees before I got home from work... it killed 80% of life in my tank. Only survivors were Pistol/Goby, Clownfish, female Leopard Wrasse [male died], and Benny the Blenny. So he is a very hardy fish.

Starry Blenny's have a much improved ability to change colors [much more than their other Blenny cousins], they are virtual chameleons. His color-changing abilities are remarkable... second only to those of squids/octopus IMO. He can change his entire body from an 'off-white' to 'solid black' and any pattern in between he wants. Its a cool spectacle to witness, however once he gets comfortable in your tank he dons a particular 'suit' to his liking and tends to stick with that color scheme. Every now and again I catch him 'exercising' the ability and watch him shift his entire body to different patterns - amazing fish!

008as.jpg

One of the things I find so fascinating about this fish is how he perches on rock and in nooks and crannies throughout the tank. He is the biggest fish in my 55g tank at a stout 5+ inches long... and when he emerges from hiding in plain sight guests are in awe of this "giant" fish that was in front of their eyes the whole time!

In keeping with the Starry Blenny's "hide in plain sight and perch silently waiting" gameplan... his eyes have the ability to move independently, again, like a chameleon. I find that Benny is usually watching me before I'm aware of him...

63837441.jpg

And oh do they have a lot of personality. He is humorous at times how he will always try different "hiding spots" and sometimes he is the most blatant obvious thing in the world... like when he is "hiding" on my coral as seen below... Cracks me up.

001axh.jpg

He is also the "keeper of his realm". He exercises control over both the aquascape and it's inhabitants.

Aquascape - much like his other blenny cousins, Starry Blenny's will move around their [your] landscape to their own liking, pushing giant things around and trying to make new caves... or just 'knocking' them off the top of your structure to make a more preferred perching spot.

He is tenacious, but I've found that I am more stubborn. If I put a new coral in and he doesn't like it where I've placed it, he will knock it over...and over...and over. It will take 3-4 days, but every time he knocks it over I replace it, and eventually he'll give up.

Inhabitants - Benny the Blenny "polices" everyone in the tank, whenever someone tries to pull rank, whether a feisty Flame Angel, a Foxface Rabbitfish, or a Leopard Wrasse... Benny flies in to settle the score and then proceeds to keep an eye on the aggressor very obviously for a few minutes... He really does "keep the peace"! Cool to watch.

He is also reef safe [except when he knocks over corals while "re-decorating"].

His eating habits lean mostly toward herbovore status, he grazes on algae on the glass. And when I feed my fish their 'veggies' [like in the first photo] Benny will graze on that as well. He readily accepts most any meaty frozen food offerings I give him, and pellet food as well. Good eater, so no worries on starvation.

Some More pics of the species from google.

This is how mine looks when he is 'comfortable'

starry.jpg

And how he looks when he's 'excited'

starryBlenny5.jpg

Some more excerpts showing his chamelion like abilities...

images

And a video showing how he can change his entire body (and face if he wanted) to an "off-white"

http://youtu.be/Ksf2JpIKcYo

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ksf2JpIKcYo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ksf2JpIKcYo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Bart is my blennys name. I like his milk beard. which comes and goes at his leisure. The way he backs up into his parking places cracks me up. And yes he has startled me several times while I'm checking out stuff thru the mag glass only to wonder what is that. Then he moves and again he gets me. Hes always in plain view but never is. You know what I mean...

Mine is Wally. He loves to play steal the nori square from the tangs mouth.. They pass it back and forth to each other going to town on it.

Nice write up. Our Starry Blenny is one of our favorites also. I haven't witnessed ours turning the white shade yet, but he does change color patterns often.

Great fish. Although mine killed off my tailspot who was there first.

I've never seen mine go completely white though.

Guess we need to name ours.

Wow, he's awesome! We have a Lawnmower named Lenny. He also has tons of personality, like you described...he turns light/dark, or patchy, not as dramatic as Benny. They're very cool fish...so fun to watch. He's definitely king of the tank!

excellent writeup! a starry was my first ever saltwater fish, and when i get my tank running again i am definitely getting another one. mine also ate algae mostly but it would take rod's food right out of my hand.

Great review. I love my "Rock Star ll". I had one for 5 years and unfortunately lost him to ich..don't ask : ( I have another one now and his personality is just as good if not better. He is so curious too. Whenever I have my hand in the tank he sneaks up to take a nibble of me. He eats out of my hand too.

They were both purchased at approximately 5". I kind of wish I had gotten a smaller one this time around because he adds a lot of waste to the tank. They're heavy feeders. He cleans the rocks all day long as well as eats everything I throw into the tank.

Neither of mine rearranged the tank but I have heard that they can do this as someone stated above.

2012-08-31_15-37-01_320.jpg

I lost mine this week unfortunatlly, I will get another at some point. I think mine ingested a piece of substrate that he could not pass. It was a sad day.

Ours was named Benny Castro, cuz he's a dictator in our tank. Funny guy. Some of our family members refer to him as the "lizard", or "the ugly one", LOL!

Anybody have one of these with a Tridacna clam? I really like them but am looking forward to finally keeping clams in my next system.

I don't know how similar they are, but I once had to remove a lawnmower blenny from a large system because it unrelentlessly nipped at a big Deresa.

not sure what clams I have but my SB doesn't touch them at all. Like everyone else says, the blenny is the boss of the tank. He even puts my large female maroon in her place.

Anybody have one of these with a Tridacna clam? I really like them but am looking forward to finally keeping clams in my next system.

I don't know how similar they are, but I once had to remove a lawnmower blenny from a large system because it unrelentlessly nipped at a big Deresa.

This will sometimes nip clams and even corals. I had to get rid of mine because he wouldn't lay off the SPS.

I love my starry blenny. He doesn't touch SPS or clams. Just perches on the rocks throughout the day and grazes on algae.

096.jpg

Back