STARS club logo

Jay, if everyone can decide on a final logo I would be happy to send you high resolution .PDF, .ai, .eps, and .tif files.

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol , Ill have my IT folks create an account for Stephen and PM the user and password as soon as it is done

This is great, but who is the one that is going to provide the club specific information that is needed for the site? It makes sense to me that Stephen should be in direct contact with a STARS member while he is making changes to the site. Jay, is that going to be you?

This is great, but who is the one that is going to provide the club specific information that is needed for the site? It makes sense to me that Stephen should be in direct contact with a STARS member while he is making changes to the site. Jay, is that going to be you?

Yes, I will take this on.

As Stephen has an interest in Reefkeeping, I am trying to recruit him as a member. I also think that once the website is further established it can be updated by just about anyone. The design is the part that I know nothing about.

http://www.nmsu.edu/~fcamp/

I have also encouraged Stephen to join reefcentral and come to boards and check out our club.

jay

Jay "“ I really like the look and function of that website! If Stephan can help with ours that would be great. Honestly I just went to ours as I write this and Daniel, the website does look good!! You have done a great job. :thumbsup:

I did not bookmark our site (shame on me!!:crazy1:) so took some digging to get the address. Recommend we add that to the end of our name here on RC like OMAS has which is listed directly above us in the SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums page. If they add that maybe they could also add parentheses () around the STARS at the end of the name like the other clubs. Or maybe just add a sticky (which would be our first!!) to our forum. Just some thoughts!

Also, Ryan, great job on the logos!! I too liked #1 and #6. One suggestion is to maybe add the STARS website address under our name?

Jay

I too have had the same concerns about the lack of parenthesis in our title and also the fact that our website address is not a link like the other clubs. Our mini mission does say to visit us at the website, however the address is not a link rather it is just text. I think we should work on changing this.

I guess we have more than a name in common!!

that is my point, the address does not stand out so I think we should contact RC about making it a link rather than just text.

Oh yea and for the logo I vote #1 and #6 also. 6 is pretty cool looking with the two tone background.

Great job Ryan on the graphics. I love the native pin-striping on the tang, creative!

Here are the final renditions. Jay pm me your emial and I can send you a copy. As long as work is slow I would be happy to work on any other design projects the club needs done. Just let me know soon before business picks up.

As for the colors I am still split on which I like better. I like the earthtone one because it is symbolic of nature and the southwest. I also like the blue/orange one becuase it pops. Which ever you like I have done them in spot colors and you can consider those colors part of the brand. They can be used in the website or any club advertising.

StarsLogoFinal.jpg

i like both colored ones also, but the earth toned one seems more complete, or subtle. whereas the orange one seems like a color is missing from the starfish or something, i just can't pinpoint it. i really like the faded black background on the second one.

jay508, I think maybe you have not been to the website as of late, it does have working links and the things you mention, not that it is a big deal if you have seen it or not. I am game for allowing some one else to work on it as long as Daniel is, as it was his baby. From what Daniel has to say I see he is okay with exactly that. I would like to ask, what is this work going to cost the club to have done?

I think it is important to get a logo for the club and couldn't agree more about having only one logo, it can be a black and white one and then one that has a set color to it.
When you use it on something that you want to fancy up, you fancy the item up not the logo and you don't use a different logo for different application. This is all JMO and as we all know I am good at giving my JMO lol

Maybe we need a second logo and I think it can be a rooster. LOL Jay you do know I am teasing you of course.

Do we really want the few of us that are taking part in this thread to pick a logo or do we want to take it to a meeting and bring it up and have a vote on it so more people have a say about it? I think we can do it either way, because all the people or at least the biggest % of people that attend meetings also come here and read these threads. If they read it and don't say anything then they really probably didn't care one way or the other.

Ryan, please allow me to thank you for the time and effort you have put into this. I did leave it open for anyone who wanted to give it a shot to do so but we have nothing else yet.

I hope to hear from all of you as to if you want to vote this here or hold it at meeting. As President I think I can make the call to do it here if that is what the majority wants. I could be all full of it too and can't do that. Wait let me ask our treasurer, he will know. Hey Justin Mr. Treasurer, can I or we do it like this?

Okay now it is official as soon as Mr. Treasurer answers Mr. President and tells him if he can do it like this, we will all ignore him if the says we can't and do it anyhow. We will call this one of them behind closed doors on the open public forum kind of special meetings that is talked about in the STARS bylaws. For any of you that didn't know we had that in the bylaws, go to www.starsreefclub.com and re-read the bylaws and you will find it some place under special meetings.

Seriously I think in the best interest of the club we do pick a logo here and we submit it to Jay and if we are all in agreement to allow some other person to work on the website then we allow that to happen as well.
I do think the person that works on the website does need to be in contact with an officer of the club and be kept informed as to what we want on the site. I feel like if that person can be in contact with Audrey it would help a great deal, she after all is the secretary and does take the minutes and has the meeting "rooster" (well really I have the drain bamaged meeting rooster here with me at my house) but we all know Madam Secretary does her part and I feel like she needs and should be kept in the loop when it comes to what is going to be updated on the website in these areas.

Wow did I really write all of that?

Last edited:
I think that the logo IMHO represents the club. When new or old members see it, they recognize the logo instantly w/o having to know the name. It speaks for itself. It should be kept simple, one logo and not multiple ones. At least this is JMO.

I like the work that Ryan put forth. :thumbsup: I like both of the colored logos; either one would represent the club very well. The banners for the club would look fantastic. In reality if a logo was put to a vote, the vote should be one of the logos that Ryan presented then put to a vote the original STARS logo on the website (great logo by the way) and Ryans.

thanks for the input deehz. if another member put something up for a logo we would give it a look and see what everyone thought about it, but right now we have the ones Ryan posted andI am liking them. I had something different going on and totally different. I liked what I had but they were just quick ones and never anything complete. I wil still have to agree a logo should be only one and that is it. We don't nee ddifferent logos for different applications.

Well if we can come to terms here we should do it so that we can get the ball rolling.

In all actuality, what is being said here is that we all (at least those that have chimed in) like Ryan's logo. It really doesn't matter what color it is as what I am reading into these posts is that the logo can be colored to fit any application we need. I think the logo is great and sure I understand everyone's point about keeping one logo (KISS). So I would like to adopt the logo and move forward if no one opposes.

Hey Mr. John and Jay,

I like the logos that Ryan put forth as well. He did a fantastic job on them and the time he took to make them. Many thanks to him. Not saying that the original logo on the web site is bad, it is just that either logo would represent the club great. And if another member decides to submit another logo, maybe put in a time frame of when logo's can be submitted? Then put a couple of them for a vote here on the forum or at the July/August meeting?

Thank you for the nice comments. I'm glad you guys like the logo. I think it turned out well.

I think the officers should take everyones comments into consideration and then make an executive decision together. Its quicker and its the point of having officers in the first place.

Personally I think when you incorporate color into a logo those colors are as much a part of the identity of the brand as the logo. I really do not think you should have more than one color logo.

Go to the homedepot website. You will see that the orange in the logo is used throughout the website. Could you imagine seeing that logo in blue? It wouldnt work.

I like the brown logo best and think that the solid black logo would be good for 1-color printing options. It can be black against a light background or white against a dark background.

Ok, good points and I agree. I too like the brown logo and solid black logo.

Fellow officers, can I make a motion here to adopt Ryan's brown logo for a two color graphic and the black logo for a one color graphic?

Ryan, how is the text going to work for printing cards and the such? The way you have it in three rows and also the website below it seems like it may end up having to be pretty small. I think it may work better the way you had the text at first as single line and then have the website under it. Can you put it to scale and see how it would fit on say the size of a business card. Of course the logo can be bigger or smaller to fit whatever it is put on but if the text won't fit some applications, it is going to end up being used different ways for different things. So that is the same as having two or more different logos rather than one. To me I think it should be kept the same way everytime.

The brown is ok but the blue is like water.

Jay I think we can make this happen here and get it in the works and not have to wait until the meeting to do it. We can at anytime have a meeting by phone if called for. I see no reason we can't do the same here.

Ryan it is true we do have officers for things like this, but I still stick very much to what I have said from the start of STARS when I first contacted the people who are now the other officers and asked them to meet with me to make STARS and that is that, I want it to be as much member run as possible and that all members should have a say in all matters if they want to. I believe that anybody that wants a say in this matter has the chance to have it here and we can go ahead and make this happen. I say this knowing that all the members come here for the most part and do read these threads.

:beer: :wave:
Thanks

i second the motion.

i believe in our bylaws it states that this is the main form of communication. if we proceed like an official meeting i see no prob with voting here. now that a motion is presented and seconded, i will also call question and ask to go straight to vote, based on the fact that we have already discussed this.

so now John can repost the motion with the two options, and call for vote and the only posts after this shall be only yay or nay. to make sure all votes are counted

the only problem i have is how long to proceed with voting 2 days? state that in the post with the motion so everyone will know and i think we will be good.

Back