Start small, or go big?

A other thing is that while I started with a 40 I figured I would upgrade Anyway. So it isn't $ out the door. It's a redeployed asset that's now QT.

Another item to consider is that there are a lot of auxiliary eauipment and infrastructure to support all this. So for me a 40 allowed me to mix water in a 5 gal bucket and only haul one bucket. Water change done. And I did a fair amount of them.

Compare that to what I have now: 100 gal of water capacity in a water changing station with pumps, pipes and supporting equipment. 40 gal water change now is quite doable.

If you have a 180 tank and make a mistake how are you going to lug 40 gallons of water to do a change?

Building the "rest" of your infrastructure while you have a small tank allows you to get ready for the big tank in the mean time.

If I started with a 180 or my 175 bow I might have a different take on a reef tank today. It would have been a lot of work with not so much in supporting infrastructure.

I've chipped away at infrastructure for over a year now. Testing kits. Meds. Quarintine. Lights. Water changes supporting eauipment. Buckets. Uniseals. Holding tanks. Water stations. Etc etc etc.

I might have been a Bit overwhelmed with a 180. Water chemistry. What critter to get. Salinity. Water changes. Mixing salt. Alk. Dosing. Vodka. Biopellets. Phytoplankton. Floods. Filter changes. Feeding. Light schedule. Ato schedule. Pump maintenance.

But I have a job, other hobbies, business travel, a wife and 5 kids. So it isn't like I can check out for 3 days to tweak on something cause I want to.

Besides. I spent $100 to buy that used tank and I dropped some live rock and a fish in it. I was started.

I just could t have a 240 gallon tank sit empty for a year while I figured everything out. And there's no replacement for experience at some point. Reading is good, but doing is understanding.

Everybody can do it their own way for sure. Best of luck and like everything: ultimately you are don g this to make you happy. So have fun - however that is to you.

Last edited:
Go as big as you can afford to go and still do it right! Bad things happen fast in a little tank TRUST ME on this. Nano cubes and such are really for a more experienced reefers I know it wouldn't seem that way but it is. Craigslist is a great place to find really nice systems or pieces you can put together. If you buy a small system there will be more than likely a lot of fish that you won't be able to have and the Tang Police will be all over u LOL. Buy good equipment and buy it once it will def pay off in the end.

Welcome to your new addiction, hope you told your wife LOL.

Cheers

But, after the honeymoon period is over will tell if you still got the commitment for one. Once you buy the equipment you will not get retail back if you decide to sell. I personally am glad I started with a 29g and then went bigger. Just my two cents and good luck with whatever choice you make.

I couldn't agree more. Things happen, life happens. Even though Noobs are always head over heels to jump into this, the real test is the 8months + after the 'honeymoon' is over with.

Are you willing to continue maintenance, work through problems and issues, continue to put money into it after you have a child, or after you get married, or after you have to get a new car, etc., etc.?

The post-honeymoon phase doesn't get talked about enough for Noobs, and it's pretty important if you ask me...

Again, it's a personal preference, but going smaller to start is my vote, and always will be.

There are two sorts that get into most endeavors---those who want the glory of everybody admiring the finished product, which of course will have neither flaw nor failure. Sometimes they hire it done. But they want it Done. And then there are those who enjoy the finished product, but who have, possibly, less idea where they're going than they do of an endless process, a driving curiosity, a cheerfulness and love of the hobby and the critters even while they're cleaning a skimmer. The latter type get into it and never can turn it loose, even over years and years. I say---figure you're going to be at this a while, and you'll have expense of equipment---but don't bankrupt yourself! Figure what you can be happy with. For me, I finally bought The Tank, which with my lifestyle, happens to be a 100 gallon job that I honestly haven't figured out yet---I know it's going to be good. It's a damsel tank. I've got that down pat: they're my favorite fish, colorful and pretty peaceful in a 100. But what sort of coral it's going to be good at---I'm still experimenting. I know I won't go larger. And I don't know if I'll stay with stony coral (my last tank) or go back to softies. Tanks are different, even of the same size, and I'll just tinker til I figure out what it 'wants' to do.

Okay I'll chime in....my friend gave me his used 55 gallon when he upgraded to a 75 gallon cichlid tank. I knew NOTHING about salt water/reef hobby and have used the last year to learn the hobby with the 55 gallon tank. The size is easy to handle, the equipment needed is reasonable, and as soon as I re finish my basement I plan on going up to a 120 gallon tank and turning my 55 gallon into the sump/refugium. Listen to the people on here as far as budget. If you're married get ready to hear about t he $$ you are spending from the wife.

Basically what I'm saying is start out with a conservative size tank, learn everything about the hobby then dive into the big boys. Who knows you may find out that this hobby is not for you and you spent a ton of money on a big tank.

There are two sorts that get into most endeavors---those who want the glory of everybody admiring the finished product, which of course will have neither flaw nor failure. Sometimes they hire it done. But they want it Done. And then there are those who enjoy the finished product, but who have, possibly, less idea where they're going than they do of an endless process, a driving curiosity, a cheerfulness and love of the hobby and the critters even while they're cleaning a skimmer.

I've been firmly in the first set most of my life. I start a project - and want it DONE. Right. Perfect. Move on to the next.

So this entire endeavor has been quite the change for me. A 4 year plan instead of weekend project (and being frustrated that it isn't completed just right). A process instead of a defined project that's started and finished.

Not to be punny - but a real sea change for my personality. And it also allows me to obsess a little - there's no end to little things to tweak, research, do, implement....

I'd say start with the medium 30-40 gallon. But be warned, once you get the hang of it you'll want to upgrade bigger.

I suggest not buying a tank too small or too big which a beginner might not be used to and getting the wrong impression of reef-keeping which will lead quitting. That's worst than wanting to upgrade.

Don't listen to the people who tell you to go as big as possible in the beginning.
Three things to make your decision:
-How big can you go financially and make the right decisions?
-How big can you go husbandry wise?
-How big are you willing to restock?

This list should provide you with the answer you need. Everyone is right about bad things happening quickly in a nano but if you do it correctly it can work out exactly the same as a 90gal.

When I started out I had a 20gal. It wasn't fancy and I really didn't know what I was doing but it kept my attention and I was able to maintain it husbandry wise. I didn't need to do 20gal water changes and it was manageable for me at that time in my life.
About 7 months later, I decided to step up to a 90gal. I did the best that I could but shortly after start up, my tank crash. It was after this that I left the hobby.

I'm not back but in a better place financially to purchase the correct equipment and my abilities to take care of the tank itself is going to be more manageable because I'm in a house now and not an appt.

Make the right decision for you.

I love how responsive this forum is. Great advice. Thanks everyone.

So you are asking folks that are pretty serious about this hobby what they would do. You aren't asking folks that got it, got over their heads and got out. Just a little perspective.

Very sobering advice. There's a number of things to consider, but maybe starting small wouldn't be the worst idea, especially if I plan to reuse my starter tank equipment for a refugium further down the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
I am completely new too, however I have done at least 9 months of research and my tank is still dry. I think as long as you know what you are doing, and you make a plan, you should go for the 120, but not the 180. The 180 is way too easy to overstock

Can you, or anyone I guess, expand on this?

Never heard this before, I am looking into a 180 vs 210, maybe bigger.....

I'll take a stab at giving an explanation. I've never heard that before either. I'm guessing the meaning is about perception. With 120G, a person may see the tanks limitations. With 180G, it may be perceived to have so much volume that one needs to keep adding fish until it looks "full". And that would result from the additional depth looking front to back. With more places for fish to hide, they may feel inclined to add more fish until the desired "activity" level is reached.

Back