Started total blackout today for dinos

sinful

Last ditch effort here to beat this stuff. I'm thinking 3 days, dosing hydrogen peroxide (1ml per 10 gallon) per day. I'm not to worried about the very few corals I have, however I do have some rbta's I'm kinda worried about. Do you think they will try to move? They've been in same spot for years. Don't want them to hit the mp40 searching for light. Should I still feed the fish?

Dinos is killing me. If this does not work, what would be best method to reboot my system?

Did you test with a scope to be sure its dinos ?

I need to find someone with a scope so I can test mine also.

Seems to be a common thing lately. I wonder how its getting into our systems. Its definatly a pain in the *** to deal with

I haven't IDd with a scope no. But I would say with almost 100% certainty it's Dino's. I'm no expert so that doesn't mean much though I guess. As to what type of Dino's I'm not sure. This stuff grows in my sand instantly when the lights go on. It forms itself back on the sand in a very short time after stirring the sand bed. All my snails die when the venture in the sand. I replaced the sand a month ago and it took it about 3 days to build back up to cover the sand bed again.

When i had it, no idea what type of dinos, it was in the rocks as well. So even tho you may not be seeing it in your rocks it could be in there and thats most likely why changing your sandbed didnt resolve the issue. Stopping water changes will help greatly, new clean water fuels dinos. Syphoning the dinos out into a filter sock daily and returning the water in the bucket back into your tank will help as well. There is a very good thread on here somewhere of people battling and conquering dinos. Id'ing it first will help atrack it properly and in a way that will hopefully eradicate it.

Did you test with a scope to be sure its dinos ?

I need to find someone with a scope so I can test mine also.

Not to sidetrack the conversation here, but If you did have a scope, how exactly do you use it to positively identify dinos?

Also dont get discouraged if black out doesnt work for you. from what ive read, on that thread i was talking about, black out works about 50% of the time.

I was wondering if I had dinos also but my tank is only 3-4 months old. My nitrates are sky high, dragons blood level (100 ppm) po4 0.04 so it may not be Dino could be high nitrates so I'm working in that first and will see after.

Hey Matt I know in the past with trying peroxide it really upset my nems at the time, what if you do the blackout and try dosing microbacter or another beneficial bacteria for the 3 days to out compete the dinos for food

For some reason I never wanted to try the black out. If it doesn't work, I'm gonna have to reboot system which isn't the end of world for me. Will suck giving the livestock away, but I've had it running for almost 10yrs. Could be time anyway.,

I would recommend a total black out for 7 days. Healthy corals will survive. I personally blacked out a tank for 10 days, without peroxide. Worked great. Dino infestation never came back.

Main things I'd worry about would be my bta and carpet nem... they would be OK in a black out for a week? Still feed fish?

I put two movers blankets over the tank for the blackout and unplugged my radion. Crazy thing is my ph has been staying much higher than when I run the lights? Think this is from gases or something not able to escape?

So I opened the tank yesterday and it remained clear all day. Today I got home from work and noticed the dinos returning in the sand. I imagine they will be back in full force in the next couple days.

I'm not to sure what to do at this point. Purchase a UV maybe? Try another blackout? Reboot entire system? Anyone interested in some free livestock if I go that route? Rbta's, yellow tang, lawnmower, 6 line , pair of Percs? Would need to be an all or nothing deal though.

I'm literally at a loss. Terrible. At this point I almost feel ill be wasting more and more money to try and kill this stuff. As opposed to just restarting entire system. Complete breakdown. Acid bath the rock run vinegar through the tank for a couple days..etc. no clue very frustrating.

So I opened the tank yesterday and it remained clear all day. Today I got home from work and noticed the dinos returning in the sand. I imagine they will be back in full force in the next couple days.

I'm not to sure what to do at this point. Purchase a UV maybe? Try another blackout? Reboot entire system? Anyone interested in some free livestock if I go that route? Rbta's, yellow tang, lawnmower, 6 line , pair of Percs? Would need to be an all or nothing deal though.

I'm literally at a loss. Terrible. At this point I almost feel ill be wasting more and more money to try and kill this stuff. As opposed to just restarting entire system. Complete breakdown. Acid bath the rock run vinegar through the tank for a couple days..etc. no clue very frustrating.

This guy was able to get it out of his tank. Not sure if you watched the video when i linked it before. http://youtu.be/pk1UCB0dNKc

Yea I watched it thanks. 3day blackout worked for him. Didn't hep me unfortunately. Think I'm going to buy a microscope and a uv and see if I can ID em

I've been dosing hydrogen peroxide. 1ml/10gal. Also just started dosing some pro bio tics from aqua forest. The pro bio s and I forget the other

Back