Starting my 25 gal

December is a little late IMO. Don't worry TPS, I will give you the "kick" you need to finish it by say... end of October????

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9462911#post9462911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by N1ceDrgn
They do sell magnets for mounting power heads now. I've converted most of mine to this and haven't had 'any issues' with them. Aside from the occassional plugging/ clogging that goes on.
NiceDrgn, where did u get the magnets? Locally. I just got done doing the MJMOD to the jetstream powerhead and its blowing it right off the glass!!! I need to have a magnet on the outside strong enough to hold on to it...I will just glue a piece of stainless steel onto the pump for the magnet to attach to from the inside...please let me know.

We water tested the tank today. My close loop manafold failed. The pump leaked before even turning it on. Looks like I'll have to go back to the manufacturer to find a solution for the pump. The Sump pump preformed very well. It sure was fun watching it work. Thanks again Jeff for the help this weekend.
2007-10-07watertest.jpg

2007-10-07tankflow.jpg
2007-10-07LeakingEhime.jpg

A quick update on my progress. I don't know if I'll make December but it's still the goal. I have the hood framed. Still needs some work before I can add the skin. The end product should resemble an Okinawan roof.
P1010040.jpg
P4230023.jpg

I painted the stand this week. It's ready to be taped up and plastered. I got my pump part for the closed loop system, and I started cutting the skin for the hood. I bought a 133 cfm computer fan from Goodwill and bought a power source on line. I messed up the top cut for the hood so I get to cut that again. I had the top piece all screwed and glued in when I realized I made a mistake so I had to chisel it off.
P1010041.jpg
P1010042.jpg

I've started plastering the stand. I have the front done and did one side this weekend. It's coming out OK. Below are pictures in progress. I tape off the grout lines, spray paint it black, then add plaster. After the plaster sets up a bit I pull off the grout line tape and vola I have my rocks. My wife thinks it looks like a cookie.
P1010046.jpg
P1010047.jpg

All three sides are plastered and ready for a light sanding and paint. I cut some trim pieces for the top of the stand because I didn't like the edge the plaster makes and thought I needed a better transition to the top of the stand. I still have to glue the trim to the stand. The hood has most of the skin in place and I'm working on the roof rib that will run up the sides and around the top. I haven't figured out how the side rib and top are going to meet. I'm also cutting pieces for the tile. Power tools are too fast for the small wood so I tried to fabricate a miter block last weekend. I bought a ¥100 miter block for the 90 and 45 cuts but I'll need 30 and 60 as well. The goal for next week will be to finish painting the stand and attach the doors to the hood.
PC180023.jpg

P1010056.jpg

I managed to finish the stand this year.
First color added
PC260024.jpg
PC260025.jpg

Second color added
PC270027.jpg
PC270026.jpg

Final color and clear coat
PC300032.jpg
PC300033.jpg

Here is a close up of the handles. I was going to go with sea shells but Jeff had the idea of using actual rock. I liked his idea better.
PC300034.jpg

I'm still working on the hood. While I was filling my car up with gas the other day I looked across the street at Risner's sign and saw the solution on how I will join the top ribs with the side ribs.

I have never seen anyone keep a stand and empty tank as a hobby. I think you might be starting a new trend, at least one that does not require any maintenance :)

Seriously, I like the look of your stand and hood, good luck on the rest of the project!

Actually, he was only keeping the stand... The rest was at my house....

Wish you all could see it in person. It turned out really great. Nothing like I expected when he first mentioned the idea. We finished all plumbing today, shot the back black and it is ready anytime for water. Only thing left is the hood.

Ok since TPS is really good at procratinating, I will post up for him. The tank is fully plumbed/set up/ready for WATER!!! Finally!!!. As in my last post, the only thing left is the hood and light but at this point, you don't need light to cycle a tank and oh, I have 4 ea 5 gallons cans heading your way tomorrow so we can finally fill this thing and adjust it. BTW. 2 cans are full of saltwater already.

Here are some more pics of the empty tank and stand. The hood still needs legs in the back, side doors, shingles, and paint. At my pace that's another 2 months :) Kanehede ran out of 20mm half dowels so that may set me back a bit. I will try to get sand and water in this weekend.
IMG_1102.jpg
20080107_0001e.jpg

It was quite nice too to finally fire the thing up. No leaks and everything worked as planned. The water is pretty cloudy in the pic but is clear now. Time for rock... hopefully tomorrow....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10607696#post10607696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sango-chu
NiceDrgn, where did u get the magnets? Locally. I just got done doing the MJMOD to the jetstream powerhead and its blowing it right off the glass!!! I need to have a magnet on the outside strong enough to hold on to it...I will just glue a piece of stainless steel onto the pump for the magnet to attach to from the inside...please let me know.

I'm sure by now you've come across the magnets I was referring to. If not, let me know. I'm planning a vacation back on island the end of next month. I'm hoping to scout things out as I'm also looking for work back on the island.
With that said, my only concern is what I'll do with my livestock. I have several colonies I'm reluctant to lose.

Back