Starting my 25 gal

TPS-Dive

Well, I did it. I've officially joined. I'm starting a 25 gal tank. I've pretty much decided on the lights, 250W MH. I'm thinking of including a Remora skimmer. The tough part is the pump. How much flow? 30 turn overs in an hour based on 25 gal is 750 gph. Do I base my turn over on the size of the tank or actual amount of water? I'm scared this thing will look like a hot tub at 750 gph. Frank, what did you have in this tank? Jeff tells me not to worry.
IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/TerryDive/IMG_0625.jpg[/IMG]

IMG_0625.jpg

Picture didn't paste. I'll try this again.

I just had a single seio. If I were to do it again, I would put 2 maxi-jets in there, one on each side in the corner.

edit: on a wavemaker

Just for some ideas...

One of the tanks I am running right now, is a 29g. I am using a Fluval on it for water filtration and circulation. I also have a MaxiJet 600 for movement as well. In regards to skimming, I'm using a CPR Bakpak 2 with an airstone inserted for additional skimming.

What TPS and I have been talking about is going with a manifold system instead of powerheads. Power heads can be a pain when they keep falling thus the manifold idea. It would consist of 4 each 1/2 inch loclines with locline ball valves on each one that can be adjusted in any direction. With each one placed in the corner reaching all deadspots will be easy. With the manifold idea, only one pump will be required as well.

They do sell magnets for mounting power heads now. I've converted most of mine to this and haven't had 'any issues' with them. Aside from the occassional plugging/ clogging that goes on.

The point of the manifold idea is to keep the equipment out so the focus is on the coral instead. Magnets do work but Powerheads take up space and look unattractive .

I understand both points of view you bring up. I wasn't sure if you were aware of the magnet option for powerheads or not. As I mentioned earlier, it's something that recently showed up here. I'll admit that I'm not sure if this is a new option either.
Once I relocate, I'm also going to move away from power heads and utilize a PVC plumbing deisgn I have. Instead of solely relying on the 'manifolds' on my overflows, I have been working on an idea I saw in use on a tank in CO. Instead of using any loc-line and powerheads, the plumbing for water movement was neatly hidden behind rock work and eventually covered by transplanted coraline. He routed PVC from his sump up and into his tank evenly spaced across the back of his tank. Then, combining his rock scaping and plumbing, it's all neatly hidden. He used plastic water sprinkler heads for rotating heads and has these heads spaced in specific locations to create a small wave effect, offset by surge pumps for a greater effect. It was all quite impressive, the setup he designed and built, all the way through how it functioned.
Using a return pump, making use of 1" PVC and 1" unions, it was a really interesting design. I'll admit for the first few months, it was not very impressive to look at. Once his tank stabilized and the coraline algae he planted on the PVC grew, you couldn't see any of it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9463970#post9463970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by N1ceDrgn
I understand both points of view you bring up. I wasn't sure if you were aware of the magnet option for powerheads or not. As I mentioned earlier, it's something that recently showed up here. I'll admit that I'm not sure if this is a new option either.
Once I relocate, I'm also going to move away from power heads and utilize a PVC plumbing deisgn I have. Instead of solely relying on the 'manifolds' on my overflows, I have been working on an idea I saw in use on a tank in CO. Instead of using any loc-line and powerheads, the plumbing for water movement was neatly hidden behind rock work and eventually covered by transplanted coraline. He routed PVC from his sump up and into his tank evenly spaced across the back of his tank. Then, combining his rock scaping and plumbing, it's all neatly hidden. He used plastic water sprinkler heads for rotating heads and has these heads spaced in specific locations to create a small wave effect, offset by surge pumps for a greater effect. It was all quite impressive, the setup he designed and built, all the way through how it functioned.
Using a return pump, making use of 1" PVC and 1" unions, it was a really interesting design. I'll admit for the first few months, it was not very impressive to look at. Once his tank stabilized and the coraline algae he planted on the PVC grew, you couldn't see any of it.

I'm kinda syked about doing the BB set up that I was chatting with you about last night... from what Ive been reading, flow is going to be the key here. If you get the best flow in the right areas, maintinace on a BB should be minimal.

If/when I do a bigger tank, Id like to incorperate a totally hidden return system like the one your talking about here.. mabey not exactly the same, but if it works, why change the wheel.. lol

This is true, it's always possible to make changes. I liked what I saw for many reasons, it was different, it was unique and also fascinating how everything had been engineered and worked so well.

I'll try to find the web link for this guys tank and pass it on.

That is the nice thing about the states. All the plumbing parts you could ever wish for. Too bad we don't have that kind of selection here.

I don't see why not? There are a lot of places to get parts, the downside is most of them are not advertised and it's more about looking around and asking around there.

Oh, trust me about asking. I spend more time at construction stores than anything. A lot of shops know me quite well now. I can usually make anything I find work but sometimes I want a really clean install where the part I need is no where to be found. Like bulkheads. We have some that will work here but I want really thin ones like in the states and the only ones they make here are metal.

Well, I don't know if 'TheDeparted' has mentioned it or not but I do work at a store here. I've offered it up to others in the past but if there's anything you're looking for, hit me up and I'll be glad to check it out and get a price back to you.

Here like in Okinawa? Which one? Mostly what I would like to find is bulkheads. Like I said before, I can find and make just about anything work but sometiems you want that certain look. I know I can order online but I hate waiting sometimes for a $5 part.

Well, like I mentioned, I know what it's like to be over there and either need or want something specific. If I can help out, drop me a line and I have no issues picking something up and dropping it in the mail.

Hey Jeff,

I remember you saying you had a hard time finding union joints... and I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Marunaka, they have a whole floor in their building dedicated to just PVC,

Well plan A was to keep the cube on my desk.
Tankside.jpg

After calculating the weight of the tank and standing on my desk I decided to move to plan B which is to build a stand and add a sump. I'm now in the same sump queries as TheDeparted and Lionel. The stand dimensions are the limiting factor on sump size. It's probably going to be a custom job. Be nice if I could find a rubbermaid/tupperware bucket that would work. Seems odd to pay more for the sump than the tank.

Back