Sticky Water / Coral Recession / Nutient Levels

^ Thanks. Hadn't looked into the RODI yet. Still getting 0 TDS, just changed the filters in Jan (except DI). I guess I could drain all the cartridges and refill, or go ahead and change the DI stage even thought I'm getting 0.

Don't have a chlorine test. Normal booming residential construction around me right now. Has been since I moved in two years ago though.

Any thoughts regarding organic carbon dosing contributing to the issue? I never stopped and in fact increased to 25ml daily over the past 6 weeks to bring down Nitrates. My minor algae issue is nearly completely gone.

The only remaining issue facing the LPS is what appears to be patchy algae type growth on the soft parts of the tissue. In many cases the polyp portion has died or looks very close to death (shriveled, droopy, and saggy). Only effecting the bright green trumpets though.

Ill try to get some pix up this evening.....

Got a chance for a few more pix. Arrows indicating a couple of spots where that apparent algae is growing from LPS polyps and where branch growth receded (algae also apparent) on SPS.

g2febbyl.jpg

jfpMEG0l.jpg

lUhwsxrl.jpg

syRwC9Ul.jpg

K1GeJMtl.jpg

YVmkUAXl.jpg

I don't know whether carbon dosing might be part of the problem. That seems to work both ways for corals. The algae might make a problem worse, but it's at least reasonably possible that some other factor is causing an initial die-back or necrosis of the corals.

If it's easy enough, spending a few minutes a week removing the algae might limit the damage. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it, though, and I can't just the ease of reaching the pest. A dental pick might be fine, for example. I'd like to stress the "few minutes per week" part, maybe 3-4 minutes at tops, and if it's annoying to do, don't bother.

Okay I believe I am finally on to something here. Yesterday I increased my flow (added in an old Hydor constant flow powerhead) and nearly instantly with the added random flow the LPS got puffy/full.

Next on a whim I heard the ATO topping off more than usual. Upon checking the mechanical media tray was overflowing allowing enough water to spill over the edge of the sump. Not total disaster. Didn't lose enough water to affect salinity. Here is where it gets interesting. The filters were changed only a couple of weeks ago. Typically I get nearly 6 weeks from the blue/white & polyfilter.

During the change I noticed they did not appear as filthy as usual. The skimmer also wasn't pulling quite the dark volume of gunk. My hypothesis here is that the increased carbon dosing (Vinegar/Vodka/RODI) was contributing to the sticky water I described earlier in the thread.

Over the past two days I've cut the carbon dosing 40% (25ml daily to 15ml). Along with reduced lighting intensity after watching a video where Dana Riddle explains photosynthesis/light/alk, I opted for more flow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBktpJ3umAs

Ill leave the carbon dosing at 15ml for a few more days and likely do a 15g water change this weekend to further reduce the residual remaining slime/sticky from the water.

Let's see were this takes me.

The LPS might be making progress. That's good news. I am not sure what the carbon dosing change might do. I think it's worth trying, though.

Day 3 of higher flow and 40% less organic carbon dosing and wow, what a difference.

LPS are puffy again and the spots of algae growth on the polyps have receeded significantly. Even gone in a few spots. I'll try to update with pix today or tomorrow. Assuming my interpretation of flow was skewed.

Just glad I'm on the right track now.

Update: Day 4 with easily double the flow I had previously. More cell pix (still working out my DSLR and aquarium pix).

Test results from this morning:

Alk - 8.3 dKH
Cal - 405
Mag - ?
Nitrates - 5-10ppm
Po4 - .02

On to the pix.

sbq2Emkl.jpg

XXxiWWQl.jpg

8xjuSS9l.jpg

0plZ44jl.jpg

C2ohIArl.jpg

A little difference but the overall improvement has been in the health and appearance of everything together. I lost the small monti in the first set of pix, but this monti was displaying paling/whitning along with algae growth. The algae is much more contained and starting to receed.

LhhHCNjl.jpg

These candy cane trumpets were looking droopy and had the beginning of algae spots. The remaining dark spots that can be seen are small, fading, and the coral appear to be beating them off.

w9qEnzIl.jpg

Again sorry for the crappy cell pix. Tried to get this done before getting busy with my day.

Last edited:
Okay, the corals seem to have turned the corner. :)

Indeed, not a drastic change by any stretch but plenty happy to see the turn in the right direction. Will continue to monitor. Added a couple cheap birds nests to test the improved parameters with new healthy frags. Fingers crossed!

Same response I got in my new thread. Unfortunately after a few days of increased flow some of the LPS went back to a shrivled look. I did a water changed yesterday afternoon and dipped a few of those in Coral Rx and replaced them to the same position.

This water change was just under two weeks from the previous and was again about 20% (15g).

UPDATE:

On 5/8 I performed a 20g (20-25%) WC along with cleaning of the wave makers, skimmer, return pump (ran in Vinegar/RODI for 40 min), and vacuumed the sump. Also I completely cut off the organic carbon dosing on this date.

This brings my system back to pretty much just the basics. Mechanical filtration of blue/white filter floss & poly pad. Skimmer and UV Sterilizer. No additions other than dosing of Alk & Cal to supplement for consumption.

Feeding of fish is still twice a day (frozen Mysis, brine, & pellets). Occasionally (no more than once a week) feeding of the coral (reef roids and/or Rod's coral blend). No more Reef energy A/B.

Thus far its been 8 or 9 days since then and typically here is where I would see the downturn of the corals. Usually the WC of 10-15g would perk them up, followed by the downward slide after about a week. LPS usually begin to droop and close up. SPS still not showing any real signs of PE, yet the tissue loss has halted on some new test frags that were put in a week or ten days before this big maintenance day on 5/8.

Completely different thus far. I'm being cautious in my assessment and sticking with no carbon dosing while monitoring nutrient levels.

Alk - 8.7
Nitrates - 15-20
Phos - .16
Cal - 400+
Mg - ? (Red Sea kit sucks)

Just sharing to keep this thread rolling for anyone following or searching in the future.

That's interesting. I hope the tank keeps improving. So it seems to be related to the carbon dosing?

As best I can tell that would the variable. Never got a bacterial bloom as everyone describes from over dosing. Still haven't added since the last change and everything still looks great.

Gonna go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" from now on.

Shocking test numbers today. Before you read below I must say, I have zero, zip, zilch algae.

Alk 9.1
Cal 420
Mg ?
Nitrates 50ppm (that's right 50)
Phos .28
79.5 degrees

Haven't done a full test since the big main day on 5/8. That's almost 2 weeks ago. Reason was I would've freak had I seen those numbers. Gonna do a 15g water change, cut back on feeding, and stop vacuuming the sand for a while to hopefully get some natural filtration and reduce those values.

SPS coral aren't growing aside from two types of birdsnest, but they aren't showing signs of deteriorating either. LPS still showing signs of good health and growth.

New results tonight, 8 days since the last.

Sal 1.0255
pH 8
Alk 9
Cal 445
Mg?
Nitrates 50+
Phos .33
Temp 80

Debating going back to minimal carbon dosing (4 or 5 ml daily). I just don't want the nitrates and phosphates to get outta control. Some would consider the numbers above already way high. Algae and cyano are not something I wanna deal with.

Back