Sticky Water / Coral Recession / Nutient Levels

In a continued effort to track progression I have started dosing carbon and am currently running GFO in a reactor. Both Nitrates and Phosphates have dramatically increased over the past month.

Nitrates are 80+ (stupid color test)
Phosphates .45ppm (Hanna)

As I checked my log, I stopped carbon dosing on 5/8. Since then these values have climbed steadily. Still no signs of algae and most coral have maintained though none have shown any signs of growth either.

Guess ill bring these back into check and keep up with biweekly (possibly weekly) water changes at this point.

With the phosphate level at .45 ppm, I'd expect the GFO to last a few hours at most. That's fairly high.

With the phosphate level at .45 ppm, I'd expect the GFO to last a few hours at most. That's fairly high.

Today is day three, guess Ill be swapping it out this afternoon. I need to wait for some more Hanna ULR reagents to arrive before I can accurately test again though.

Nitrates 60ish (color test)
Phosphates .107

Guess the quick GFO dropped the Po4 and there aren't many tied up in the substrate or rock.

Nitrates should be easy via continued carbon dosing (5ml) and the addition of Marinepure bio spheres media.

Back