Stocking [90G] asking for algae eating fish

Rhygar666

My Tank is 95G with a 40 G sump
Skimmer Tunze Comline Skimmer 9012 for 200-1200L
i plan only to get SPS Corals maybe 1 or 2 lps if i really like them.
25 KG of Live Rock and about 14 KG of Nature's Ocean Saltwater Base Rocks
also my sump is full of live rock
from the layout of the tank theres plenty of space to hide between the rocks, i added a picture.
i got lots of pods etc. in my tank and sump and i grow artemia theres no risk of the pipefish or mandarinfish starving.

Fish i already got

a pair of pseudochromis fridmani
1 Bicolor Blenny
a pair Mandarinfish
a pair Janssi Pipefish
1 matted filefish

fish i ordered and get in a few weeks, theyre at quarantine with my lfs
a pair Yellow Prawn Gobies with 1 Pistol Tiger Shrimp
a pair Coral Beauty Angelfish

heres my question for this thread:
i have a lot of algae and i want to add 1 or 2 good algae eating fish i guess from what i read the best choice is a tang or a blenny
im thinking of adding 1 rather small tang
like a bristletoth tang
kole tang
if thats possible with my angelfish.
im greatful for any advices if there is a better choice of Tang with my tank size, attitude and ofc eating algae.

im thing of adding either 1 court jester goby
or maybe a sailfin blenny, is it working with the doctor/angelfish and ofc my bicolor blenny?
if there are better choices or you think it wont work pls be not hesitant to answer.

also with my planned stocking, can i add 1 or even 2 of those small tangs? how stocked up is my tank? when i add the fish i planned.

thanks for reading and i tried my best but i still have some problems with fish names etc. as it isnt my native language, but i love reading this forum.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2
Our Tomini Bristletooth Tang is the hardest working fish in our tank. He's always picking and searching plus he's a beautiful fish. Highly recommended.

Foxface Rabbitfish

+1 as long as it is a one-spot (S. unimaculatus). S. vulpinus gets too big for a 90gal. Bear in mind that foxfaces may or may not eat some species of algae. I have spots of Derbesia in my tank and my foxface won't touch it. Also, Ctenochaetus sp. tangs are great for film algae, but not filamentous varieties IME.

Snails and my hands seem to work for me. Always working hard to remove most (micro) algae.

Foxface Rabbitfish

so how reef safe is the foxface? i avoided fishes like them as i dont want to hurt myself and atm my tank has had too much phosphate, i let my mother feed it and she fed to much (cant be angry at her) anyway i got a good gfo unit and some algae for my sump, doing more water changes and its getting better, but still alot of algae left, i dont wanna do too much in my tank but i need to go and rip of a bit of algae 1 or 2 times a week also putting out my nori algae suction cup holders.
i dont want to have bad luck and get maybe an agressive foxface that im scared to work in my tank.

Personally I've never owned one but have known many others who have. They all speak highly of their FF and never any complaints of being coral eaters. I'm sure there are some that might as individual fish can all be different but this doesn't seem to be a hit or miss fish. Sorry but that's all I can offer, but if it were me in your situation I would buy the one spot FF

Also, Ctenochaetus sp. tangs are great for film algae, but not filamentous varieties IME.

Much prefer tangs to foxface so haven't kept one for over 20 years. Completely agree that bristles are good for film alage (as are many dwarf Angels) but not hair algae. Getting a tang to eat hair algae can be hit or miss though. My best hair algae eater has actually been a convict, though yellows have also been pretty good. Scopas have a reputation of being good too, though mine is useless in that regard.

i informed myself more and i guess i will get a foxface
Siganus vulpinus
Siganus magnificus
as far as i found out the magnificient foxface will grow slower, im not sure maybe you can help me which type of foxface will be best.

Neither of those fish are suitable for your size tank. Recommend getting Siganus unimaculatus as they don't get as big. Also, I've never seen a foxface that is aggressive. They are always the biggest sissy in the tank. They spook easily.

Neither of those fish are suitable for your size tank. Recommend getting Siganus unimaculatus as they don't get as big. Also, I've never seen a foxface that is aggressive. They are always the biggest sissy in the tank. They spook easily.

yeah thats why im hesistant, anyway my lfs is good and he wouldve told me otherwise, im not sure what to get anyway and im still thinking about it, im not buying a fish right away.

so what would you suggest for the size and stocking of my tank, is 1 tomini bristletooth tang (thats what i thought first about) or 2 possible?
is it even possible to get 2 tomini tangs in a tank or do they fight, otherwise maybe a kole tang and a bristletooth tang.
im kinda new with tang, do they need another big fish to feel safe, heard that several tangs want a partnerfish, otherwise i guess i need to pass on a tang.
thanks.

yeah thats why im hesistant, anyway my lfs is good and he wouldve told me otherwise, im not sure what to get anyway and im still thinking about it, im not buying a fish right away.

so what would you suggest for the size and stocking of my tank, is 1 tomini bristletooth tang (thats what i thought first about) or 2 possible?
is it even possible to get 2 tomini tangs in a tank or do they fight, otherwise maybe a kole tang and a bristletooth tang.
im kinda new with tang, do they need another big fish to feel safe, heard that several tangs want a partnerfish, otherwise i guess i need to pass on a tang.
thanks.

Recommendations from an LFS should be taken with a grain of salt. They are in business to sell fish and don't always have your best interests in mind. I made a recommendation in my previous post (One-Spot Foxface). Only one tang is recommended in your size tank if you decide to go that route.

Recommendations from an LFS should be taken with a grain of salt. They are in business to sell fish and don't always have your best interests in mind. I made a recommendation in my previous post (One-Spot Foxface). Only one tang is recommended in your size tank if you decide to go that route.

thanks, thats the answer i wanted anyway im going for a tomini tang as it isnt that big and thats it for now at least, but a question for the future can i add a Siganus unimaculatus as well later on or is it a no go with the tang, coral beauty?

My magnificent foxface is awesome. Doesn't bother corals and keeps tank clean. However, your tank is unfortunately too small.

I would avoid the sailfin blenny if you're only purchasing for algae eating. They will eat hair algae, but not alot. My best algae eaters by far were my sailfin tang (too big for your tank) and my dwarf angel (known to nibble on corals at times). An even better one was my sea hare, but they can be difficult to keep alive period, and impossible once the algae is gone. I ended up selling him to a fellow reefer for what I would have got for him at my LFS. They are also not NEARLY as pretty as dwarf angels, but the risk is not there for the corals. There are other issues that can be there for the sea hare too though, so I would probably not buy again unless I knew for sure someone else needed one right after he was done with my tank.

Back