Stocking my 125 Achille stang question...

2004jeepoutlander

Hello i curently have a 125 gallon reef tank. I have some sps. I am planihng on going all sps.

I want to add an achilles tang. I work at alfs and i know thwe water quality in my reef tank is alot better than in the stores so i know he will be fine especailly condsidering he is very healthy loking and we have have had him since the end of spetember. Do you think this is a good idea.?

I currently have 1 yellow belly tang large size prob about 8 inches
i also have one 3 inch purple tang, pencil head wrasse, and ocelaris clown. I dont see any agresion problems do you.

My future fish i am planing to add are a Chrysurus Angel, A cook island scotts fairy wrasse. Thats about it. If i dont add an achilles i will get a powder blue.

For filteration i have a sump by tidewater plastics rated up to 200 gallons, a rs 6-3 euro reef, and useing a whole bottle so purigens and two bottles of sea gel- "Which coantins a phospahte absorbant" And alot of water flow. from a 200 ps panworld. will be adding tunze or seios soon.

i have one in my 125 and love it. my tank is 85% sps. i also have other tangs and there isnt any aggression. im sure its different with every fish and setup though.

the purple will be a pain. if hes not aggressive now he will be. just make sure that your flow is veerrry turbulant. i recently added a black longnose tang to a tank with an established powder blue and the aggression lasted so long i had to remove the pbt. this is a very sensitive fish. just make sure your tank is steady and established to give yourself a fighting chance. good luck.

should i go with an achilles oar a powder blue. Like what do you think s best suited as far as compatibility with the fish i have and will curently be adding?

both are very sensitive fish, but if you think you are up to the challange i would go achillies. You will most likely have a better chance at keeping the powerder blue alive, in my opinion.

The achillies tang might be a little easier to aclemate than a powder tang. I had a powder blue and I did get him to eat but not at his full potential. The only problem i see is w/ the purple tang. I know they have different body shapes so they should be ok in the long run but in the begining your going to have a problem. My purple tang beat up my damsels and, he was only in tank for 5 mins before the other were. So I think if you go for the thrid tang, tyry and add him at night or with the lights off. Then just monitor them for a while. They will most likely tussle a few mins but they should clam down. Also see if that achillies is bigger than the purple. But thats just my opinion, I 'm no expert

I've seen people do this to curb agression between 2 tangs. Get an eggcrate and divide your tank into 2 sections. Your tangs will be able to see each other and display agression, the idea is to let them do that until they get used to the idea of being around other tangs. Once agression subside you can take down the eggcrate. It might take awhile but it works. Good luck

the achilles might have a 1/2 inch on the purple. But im not sure im geting an australian scotts fairy wraase tomorow i decide d to ge tthe australin one plus i ge to pick which one i want out of three tomoorw really excited.

I just bought a achilles about 3 days ago and he is doing great. He is eating everything I put in the qt including flakes.

Just got an australian scotts fairy wrasse hes like 4.5 inches i got to hand pick him from 3 we got in today. Now im leaning more toward the powder blue tang.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6539467#post6539467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michindi
I just bought a achilles about 3 days ago and he is doing great. He is eating everything I put in the qt including flakes.

Where did you get him at ?? LFS or online ??

I wish I could get a healthy achilles around here! Although, we only have a 125 and a happy naso & happy hippo. Probably don't want to mess with it, but achilles are such beautiful fish!

Back