Stop eating tuna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illhaveanother

In Memoriam
I know that this is a little off topic but seince it has to do with fish and our oceans I though I would inform you all about this epidemic. Some people are oblivious to the fact that all most all tuna species are critically endangered or endangered ! For our whole planet to work right we need to have a good balance in our ocean food chains and far to many apex predators like the tuna are being overfished each year and it will lead to our planets downfall if we don't do somthing about it. My problem is not with fisherman it's with commercial fisherman that trawl and kill off sea turtles and other things like dolphins ect. And take way more from the ocean than they need! Look at Japan !
I also have a problem with the fact that tuna are mostly caught in the Gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean Sea there 2 know breeding grounds before they are even allowed to breed leaving less and less tuna! Tuna also are one of the only predators of jellyfish . Seince there are so few tuna to eat jellyfish the Mediterranean Sea runs rampant with pest jellyfish that can sting HARD . It is ruing there tourism industry . I wrote this to get the Ideas flowing in people heads and if your intrested you can look more info up on the Internet . So next time you order that 5$ tuna sandwich at the local store don't think about how much it just cost you ,think about how much it's costing all of us!

Last edited:
Another terribly misspelled rant with no backup. Is English your second language?
Certainly the out of control environmental regulation agencies would have outlawed fishing for them long ago if this were true. Certainly I wouldn't be able to buy a can for .99 at Walmart if they weren't plentiful. I have read of density of the largest individuals declining, and a possible effect on future breeding stock, but hardly see anything to convince me they are critically endangered.

Both the world wildlife federation and national geographic 2 very reputable organizations have recognized the tuna as endangered . Many others also recognize it as such . It is sti possible because it is very hard to regulate the catch limits. Tuna trawlers this last year couldn't even catch enough tuna to reach there minimum quota. If you ever want to eat tuna agian you'll stop eating it now. Even the national aquarium recognizes the tuna as endangerd. This is our choice . Do we want to have a healthy ocean that will help Procter our planet or a empty sick ocean that serves no service to us. It out choice and as long as we keep eating tuna and supporting the catching of it they'll catch it till its all out !

If I had a video of me eating the belly out of a live tuna, this is where I would post it.

I think the agenda is more about “ruing there tourism industry.” I’m sure the numbers bounce around but about 65% of the global tuna catch comes from the Pacific Ocean, 26% percent from the Indian Ocean, and the remaining 9 % from the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea and a lot of what is taken from Japan ends-up on yours and our markets frozen or fresh.

Why dosent anyone seem to care about this topic? Arnt we supposed to be a group of people who come togther and care about the oceans and how we can make them better. We insult commercial overfishing as a major part of reef destruction saying that we arnt supporting that we are supporting sustainable ornemantal fish collection. And then we turn around and betray our own beliefs. Look at the cold hard facts people not the logic this time the facts tuna are in real trouble and the more we eat them and ignore the problem the worse it will get! Sure fish is good for you but having a stable ocean ecosystems is better for ALL of us .because without the oceans we would all die! If you must eat fish just eat like aquacultured talapia or catfish or Pearch. Salmon is ok somtimes but not ALOT . Cod is bad to eat to cuz it's rare. I know fish is tasty I've ate it before
But do your part In helping all of us and practice some self control in how much you eat and what kind you eat .

Thank you

Tuna is a very important fish because its circum tropical. (Migrates from tropical sea to tropical sea.) not only would we be destroying a key apex predator , but we would be killing off an apex predator that is at the top of the chain in every tropical ocean in the world! Those ecosystems will run amuck and who knows how that will affect our precious ornamental fish? The end of the tuna could be the end to ALOT of things ! It is the base of the food chain that holds the rest up if the bottom falls out the rest of the chain falls with it!

I believe that you are confused with the whole apex and base concept of your food chain and you need to flip it over.

The phytoplankton would be the base and the tuna would be at the top (apex).

Just because of this thread, I think I'm going to get a large tuna steak and sear it on the grill tomorrow. Rare with sesame seed crust. Yumm. Can't wait, thanks for the idea!

I know that this is a little off topic but seince it has to do with fish and our oceans I though I would inform you all about this epidemic. Some people are oblivious to the fact that all most all tuna species are critically endangered or endangered ! For our whole planet to work right we need to have a good balance in our ocean food chains and far to many apex predators like the tuna are being overfished each year and it will lead to our planets downfall if we don't do somthing about it. My problem is not with fisherman it's with commercial fisherman that trawl and kill off sea turtles and other things like dolphins ect. And take way more from the ocean than they need! Look at Japan !
I also have a problem with the fact that tuna are mostly caught in the Gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean Sea there 2 know breeding grounds before they are even allowed to breed leaving less and less tuna! Tuna also are one of the only predators of jellyfish . Seince there are so few tuna to eat jellyfish the Mediterranean Sea runs rampant with pest jellyfish that can sting HARD . It is ruing there tourism industry . I wrote this to get the Ideas flowing in people heads and if your intrested you can look more info up on the Internet . So next time you order that 5$ tuna sandwich at the local store don't think about how much it just cost you ,think about how much it's costing all of us!

here a link for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

Just like I said before it won't be "to good to not eat " when you can't eat it because its all gone and all of are tropical ocean ecosystems have crashed. Please be serious here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back