STOP wasteing Water?

Shawnts106

Is there any way I can run the wastewater line back to the RODI unit to refilter it and make prduct water, that way I dont have any waste?

I was thinking put a T connecter on the LINE IN from the tap source that way it will go through EVERYTHING again.

Do you think it will work? or will it just pollute perfectly filtered water?

You can do this but it will cost you in the long run. You will have to replace your RO membrane and DI resins sooner. That's because the wastewater has a higher TDS than your tapwater did.

I personally used to fill my washing machine with the wastewater, put it in buckets to water plants, or ran the wasteline outside to water the grass.

The very best you can get is about 1:1 waste to good and that requires a booster pump. It greatly shortens the life ofthe filters and is not cost effective or everyone would be doing it.

In addition water is pretty much the least expensive resource we have available unless of course you're emailing from the Sahara then we're talkin' CHA-CHING ! ! !

I see...

Yeah, Well I have have been just useing the WASTE water to Top OFF the pool and water flowers... I think Ill just continue to do that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8116795#post8116795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UH_OH_5_OH
In addition water is pretty much the least expensive resource we have available unless of course you're emailing from the Sahara then we're talkin' CHA-CHING ! ! !

Depends on where you live. I used to live in MD and my water bill for similar use as of now was about $20-30 quaterly. Now I live in South FL and my water bills is close to $70 monthly. The funny part is they charge you both for water and sewarage/disposal, but the disposal fee is based on the water used. So, they get to charge you twice for the same water.

I have a dual RO membrane unit with a booster pump. Waste to product ratio is 1:1. So my RO filter may last me 18 months instead of 24 months, but they are the cheap part of the equation at $50 each!! However, I make twice as much product with half the waste as I used to. A huge savings that is justified in my case.

You're concerned about the RO waste and you have a pool? You've got a lot of evap there, buddy. :) Using the RO waste for watering plants, washer, pool, etc is about the best you can do.

As for the municipalities charging you twice: You pay for the water that you use typically through a metering device. This revenue goes towards the water treatment plants (that put in all the chemicals in your water that you removed w/ RO). The sewer charge is not metered and based on what you got out of the tap. It goes towards the waste water treatment plant. With I/I becoming a big concern these days, except those rates to go up. 99% of the time, your sewer flow is < than your water supply flow. Now, if you have a pool or irrigation system or something of that nature, then you're sewer charge should be reduced. Some municipalities will let you put in a additional meter for the things that don't have a sewer (pool, garden, etc). Give 'em a call if its a concern...

Jason

There is nothing wrong with the waste water, it has usally already been filtered by the prefilters, you can use it for cooking or even drinking.

You're concerned about the RO waste and you have a pool? You've got a lot of evap there, buddy. Using the RO waste for watering plants, washer, pool, etc is about the best you can do.

well, winter is what Im concerned about.

Back