storing live rock

Yinger

Premium Member
I'm about to pick up about 200 lbs of live rock and 150 lbs of sand tonight. I was wondering what size storage bin will I need for all this? the rock won't be going into the tank for another two weeks or so. Do you think 2 32 gallon trash cans will hold it all?

Yes - Make sure you buy the Rubbermaid "BRUTE"
I didn't one time and had a BIG problem on my-hands.
Good thing it was ALL out in the garage. Lowe's or HD have them.

That should be around 3-4 boxes depending on where it came from so you should be fine. You should keep some circulation in the container as well.

Is this cured or fresh?

SteveU

its going to be cured... I'm buying it from someone that is breaking down his tank. So 2 rubbermaid brutes should be fine?

NO - It will say Brute on the side. Plus it is Food Rated. For storage, thats a good thing.
You can check-it- out on Rubbermaids website.
I second what steveU said about the pump(circulation).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7560678#post7560678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DRC69
NO - It will say Brute on the side. Plus it is Food Rated. For storage, thats a good thing.
You can check-it- out on Rubbermaids website.
I second what steveU said about the pump(circulation).

sounds good, how much are they generally at HD?

i can't find the brute rubbermaids... are they like a trash can storage or storage bin?

Lowe's - They are trash cans. Maybe 20 to 25 each.
HD never has anything anymore. I go to L.

Make sure to feed the rock while it is in the storage bins so it stays live. Gott look out for those bacteria's ya know.

picked up the live rock today. about 200+ lbs, 50+ lbs of rubble, and about 100 lbs of live sand. here's some pics... U guys think one maxijet per container is enough? Does live sand need circulation?

Liverock004.jpg

Liverock003.jpg

Liverock002.jpg

Liverock001.jpg

I MJ per trash can is fine. Plus you need to do the same for the LS.
Love those cans. Nice LR. Big pieces for a big tank.

thanks for the advice Darrell. There are actually all different size pieces... and a mixture of Tonga, Marshall and Fiji. There are also some really nice coloration on some of the pieces as well. I found the ad on craigslist. Everything only costed me 250 bucks. Less than a dollar a pieice... the guy was moving across the country.

I would add another maxijet for suface agitation. I stored about 300lbs of live rock in the same containers and had some liverock start rotting on me because there was not enough flow getting to all the liverock. I put a maxijet midway down shotting towards the bottom, then added another one close to the surface.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7567027#post7567027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d1hotblaze
hey ying....hows the spaker sound..lol sweet tank

Its sounds awesome man...thanks again, I moved my other towers to the rear. Now just need a better subwoofer haha. Did you order your tank yet?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7567068#post7567068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbdesigns
I would add another maxijet for suface agitation. I stored about 300lbs of live rock in the same containers and had some liverock start rotting on me because there was not enough flow getting to all the liverock. I put a maxijet midway down shotting towards the bottom, then added another one close to the surface.

300 in one container? geez... how big was that container? I have a maxijet in each which has probably a little over 100 each. Seems to be enough flow. How long did you have yours in the container for?

Back