Straight forward lighting answers

mikellie318

I am all but lost in my effort to figure out what is the best options for lighting a 90 gallon reef tank. I do not want to be restricted in what I can keep by what light I have, so this needs to be a wise choice. I know that it would be easy to say just buy one of the really expensive units, but I am convinced that it can be done just as good for a fraction of the cost. Originally I was sold on the Outer Orbit fixture from current. At a price point of about $800 it seemed like the best choice for the 24 hour system I wanted. Now after trying to do some research, I'm more confused than ever. I would entertain the thought of pendants or retro kits, but I dont even know where to start. HELP!

You don't need a 24 hour system.
The cheapest way to get a decent system is to shop in the used equipment forum. There are some really killer deals to be had there.
If you don't want used, ( I bought 3 separate used ballasts for 1/2 of any online store, 8 years ago and they are still going
strong), then I'd look at some places for retro fit kits and make your own canopy.
I happen to like the look of mh lighting so that would be my recommdation. Go with 2x250 watt for a 4' tank.
with 250 watt you can keep anything you want. From soft corals, LPS and SPS.
I bought some retro kits from hellolights.com for prices I couldn't find elsewhere.
HTH

Thanks for the advice and I will definitely check out the used equipment forum. I have just become very leary about this decision because the wrong one can be very costly!! I have about 2 weeks left before I have to choose what to do, so I'll have to widen my search. Thanks

Back