Strange behavior- N. wennerae

Justind823

I got my N. wennerae going on 2 weeks ago and last weekend he killed and ate a shore crab without a problem. I work a lot of hours during the week so I don't get to see him all that much 'cause he's usually in his den in the morning and at night. So about an hour ago I put another shore crab in the tank for him but when he came out to get it he was acting oddly. He gave 2 weak hits, the crab ran away, the mantis became uninterested and kept rolling over and acting almost "drunk." He is also not at all startled by anything moving in the tank right next to him. All my parameters are optimal, I just got done checking them.

I've seen video's of this species being very active, running around and what not but mine is always in his den and rarely comes out to walk around. Is this normal behavior? I have to admit I'm worried for the little guy.

Help me out here!

well you only had him for two weeks, could still be getting used to his new home. He could also be getting ready to molt and hiding out. I would be worried if he starts just staying out and not moving at all or goes on his back. Thats what my peacock did before she died. I have the same set up as you 24 gal aquapod N. wennerae. Hope he gets better. there pretty hardy stomatopods.

Probably premolt behavior, they do molt soon after being introduced to a new tank after all. I agree with nikesb4l on the mantis rolling on its back. If it does that there is little you can do for the little guy. There is little you can do anyway, as far as I know, so don't worry too much. Pics? I'm just curious, I love N. wennerae.

Alright hopefully he'll molt soon then. I'll take the crab out of the tank since he still hasn't touched it. I'll try not to worry too much. Anyway here is a few pics of him. I saw two sticks so its definitely a him...his name is Rube.

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

Let's wait and see, my chiragra does something similar all the time, it's just his way of kicking back and I've had him for a year.

Well I'm hoping its not a move of death or anything. He doesnt roll on his back and stay there. He just seems to enjoy walking, doing a foward roll, and then walking some more.
Its strange really, is this like what you chiragra does Koshmar?

My P. ciliata rolls around all the time and I've had her for almost a year. Just the staying on their back thing is bad

My chiragra (when I could still see him that is, he has erected multiple chambers, walls, and doors now), would just roll on his side and lay against one of the rock walls in his cave. The only movement I would see would be when he fluttered his pleopods or switch sides. There was still movement while he was lying down via the pleopods.

In summary, it seems like your N. wennerae is not in a death position. Seems like it is just kicking back, especially if it is still walking around. My N. wenerae, LBD, only rolled when she was introduced into her tank for the first time. It is very interesting, the rolling behavior that is. I think that your stomatopod will be fine. I should stress that I am not a professional though. I'm sure Dr. Roy would ask for a video of the behavior if you asked him about this subject.

Best of luck.

I moved him into a new bigger and better tank cause the other one was leaking. So anyway I snapped a few pics once I put him in while he was finding his way around. He is still being weird, tripping over himself and whatnot, but hopefully his molt will come soon.
IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

awesome pics. your mantis shrimp is beautiful, i hope he makes it. quick question: can you point out the "sticks" that identify him as male? i can never see those.

Between the last set of legs is where they are. They come to a point, its somewhat hard to see in the picture though. Also, they are the same color green as the rest of his body. If you still can't make it out I'll circle it in a photo editor.

can you circle it? i also want to know. if you need it to molt, try adding a little iodine to the tank. it will help speed up the molt. do 1/2 of the dose recommended so you dont harm anything

Back