strange maxima?

zombiereef

i just got this clam today from a friend and he thought, myself as well, that it was a crocea. after cleaning it up a bit and looking at it closer, i am mostly convinced that it is a maxima. the mantle looks like crocea but the scutes on the shell look like maxima. help!
345363221.jpg

Interesting characteristic...I guess it is a Crocea as well due to its mantles and the fact that the scutes closely together and it is on the upper part of the shell only. It may be an aquacultured Crocea?

could it be a crocea-maxima hybrid? i have never seen a maxima with this type of mantle pattern? and i have never seen a crocea with large scutes on its shell.

can you get a pic more from the side?

from that shot i wold say a crocea that has been kept in a tank for quite a while. crocea's do grow scutes, they are usually knocked off as the clam bores in the reef.

either way great looking clam :) ( post a top down too, please )

i agree. crocea all the way. i think the scutes anomaly is just from it being aquacultured or in a tank a long time. thanks for the help everyone. here is a side picture anyways....
345515527.jpg

the lights went off before i could get a good top-down shot. i will try later. i really like this clam. i like the even, brilliant blue. i had a different crocea years ago that had some green mixed in, but it wasnt as brilliant as this one. that blue is on fire!

Back