Stream Help

pbcunningham

Hi, I currently run a 5 * 2 * 2 tank which used to be softies only and now is slowly being changed into an SPS only tank.

I have the following in my tank at present :

1 * 6100 Stream
1 * 3500 AquaClear PowerHead
1 * Eheim 1060 Sump Return
1 * Eheim 1060 Closed Loop
1 * OceanRunner 6500 Closed Loop running a spray bar.

The system is configured so that the stream is 1/3 in from the left hand side at the back pointing at the front right hand corner.

The aquaclear is 1/3 in from the right hand side but lower in the column than the stream and pointing at the left hand front corner

The 6500 is feeding an under rock spray bar

The sump return is to the top right hand back of the tank pointing to the middle of the tank.

The Eheim 1060 closed loop is at the top left hand back of the tank pointing to the middle of the tank.

I currently have a lot of circulation in the right hand side of the tank but not what I would class as a great deal on the left hand side.

I appreciated that buying another stream (6000 or 6060 or maybe another 6100) would be the best option but am unsure as to if I have the current stream in the best position and can I asjust the current pump layout to better benefit the stream than to hinder it.

Any help/comments appreciated.

Peter

Peter.

I see two problems. First in your diagram you are bisecting the Streams flow and with the low pressure of the Stream this is probably reducing the overall movement. Secondly, spray bars are terribly inefficient and reduce flow, a single directional nozzle is generally more effective.

I would simplify things.

Put the Stream in a far back corner all the way into the corner of the tank and angle it diagonally to the other corner, or put it on the center side wall and direct it all the way across.

Keep the 2 1060's and eliminate the rest of it. Just put a simple nozzle on the outlet and direct them where you want them. These should be on the opposite side. Maybe one high and one low or one on each corner of the other side.

If you feel you aren't getting enough flow around the rocks, the better remedy would be to loosen the rock strcture, maybe even sell off some rock and form a lighter more airy structure.

Back