Successfully Keeping SPS

pco1988

Okay the title says it all.

I have had trouble in the past and never have tried again. I just recently have upgraded my lights so maybe I will have better luck. My levels are this:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10~
Salinity 1.026~
Calcium 350 to 400
It gets weekly supplements and food 3x a week

Please help.

Philip

Nitrate down to zero will help, calcium could be a tad higher. There are many other things to consider. Temp, pH, Alk, Iodine, Strontium, etc. What kind of lighting did you have before and what do you have now. What size is the system and what kinds/models of equipment are being run on it.

Temp 81
pH 8.3
Iodine ? what should it be
Strontium ? what sould it be

120gal w/ 30gal refugium
Pro Clear 30 protien skimmer
Mag drive 12
301 powerhead (2)

Lights had:
2 MH HQI 150w w/twin tube atinics(30w each)
Slap together Lights

Lights Now:
2 MH HQI 150w w/2 atinic PCs(65w each)
Standard 60" Orbit Hood

Philip

Hey Philip.

This is my experience:

Temp 80-81
Salinity 1.026
Ca 400-420 is okay
Kh 9
St-22
Mg 1350-1450
No2-0
No3-0 (important)
Po4-0 (important)

High water movement.
Steady water parameter is very important.
Very low nutrient in your water = good skimmer.

Good luck with your tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6517905#post6517905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mortenN
Hey Philip.

This is my experience:

Temp 80-81
Salinity 1.026
Ca 400-420 is okay
Kh 9
St-22
Mg 1350-1450
No2-0
No3-0 (important)
Po4-0 (important)

High water movement.
Steady water parameter is very important.
Very low nutrient in your water = good skimmer.

Good luck with your tank.

This is good to strive for, I forgot to mention Mg, definately want to keep check on that once in a while...and you didn't post your Kh value. Definately make sure that is in good form. From what you post, you have VERY little flow in your size tank. For sps, I personally like to keep random and well placed flow with a total turnover of anywhere from 40-60% volume of display. You're not even close. Do some searches for people with similar tanks that have successful sps and see how much flow they are using and where it is placed (strive to have flow in all areas of the tank...even behind rocks).

Lighting...may be sufficient for corals placed high in the water...how deep is your tank?

I have no clue how pro-clear skimmers perform, I've not heard of them. I'm partial to Euro-Reef, but I know these can be expensive, ASM is a cheaper alternative that performs as well. Are you sure your current skimmer is doing all it can? Pulling at least a cup a week minimum of nasty dry skimmate or a cup a day of wetter skim. Check out the "all things salty" forum for A. Calfo's skimmer suggestions, this will help you greatly i believe.

Good luck

Back