Sugar Dosing

sounds good. thanks for the update. is it normal for corals to go from brown to color in a week? i always thought it took a lot more time to color up. i guess it really depends on the species.

It's not completely back to its original color but it's getting there. It's losing the brown color. The weird thing is that the toadstool was the only one that had it's color affected. I didn't know what it was and when I read that it may have been the sugar it made me swith to vodka. Since it's going back to normal, I can only assume it was the sugar.

ill be doing vodka and or zeovit on my next tank for sure. or my upgraded one. really want that bigger shallow rimless look for next project. so ill be following your progress. the sugar didnt catch my attention to try too much. but at least it got rid of or helped with the hair algae, thats good to know.

Toadstools i found out are some of the more "delicate" leathers. if you move them, bump them, change salinity, or change anything for that matter in the system, they will tell you and will start "browning out". This is usually the sign of instant decay and will lead to its mortality, in most cases.

I had a toadstool and did the rookie mistake by moving it. It browned out. But with mine, it went full on self destruction mode. Its a good thing that it is changing back to its off white color. Man, when these leathers go, they go. Keep a careful eye on it. However, great news on the dosing. Glad to here you have had great success with it and most of the inhabitants are to inebriated to realize what is going on!!!! Are you dosing Goose, Chiroc, or a great Russian vodka?! :thumbsup:

Sounds to me like maybe the leather was just in a shed and is now almost past it. JMO.
:wave:

Not sure if it was a shed phase since it had been browning almost since I started the sugar dosing. I just thought it was maybe too low in my tank and was not getting enought light. I had read that they will brown out because they increase the amount of zooxanthellae since they are not getting enough light and in return not enough nutrients and zooxanthellae are golden brown. I moved it higher in the tank and saw no change. I did see it shed about twice since the sugar dosing began. It didn't react much to the moves other than not extending it's polyps for about a day. After searching so much I found a few posts on sugar possibly affecting the coloration of the coral, especially leathers, which is one of the reasons I thought of changing to vodka.

Toadstools i found out are some of the more "delicate" leathers. if you move them, bump them, change salinity, or change anything for that matter in the system, they will tell you and will start "browning out". This is usually the sign of instant decay and will lead to its mortality, in most cases.

I had a toadstool and did the rookie mistake by moving it. It browned out. But with mine, it went full on self destruction mode. Its a good thing that it is changing back to its off white color. Man, when these leathers go, they go. Keep a careful eye on it. However, great news on the dosing. Glad to here you have had great success with it and most of the inhabitants are to inebriated to realize what is going on!!!! Are you dosing Goose, Chiroc, or a great Russian vodka?! :thumbsup:

The toadstool had been extending it's polyps normally and looked healthy and felt healthy to touch. It was just the brown color.

I'm not really a vodka drinker I prefer my tequila. I'm dosing some cheap brand of Vodka I found at Costco. It's like 9.99 for 1.75ml bottle.

I dose this on myself. :)

6656e976.jpg

Not sure if you guys are following drummereef’s build thread (you should be – its great! :) ) but he noted an article tonight in Advanced Aquarist about Carbon Dosing by Sanjay Joshi. I thought you all would be interested in it: Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water. It is a bit of a read but well worth the time. I always go to the conclusion first so sorry if this gives it away! :fun2:

“The bottom line with respect to the carbon dosing hypothesis is clear; the basic tenets of this theory appear to hold up to experimental scrutiny; carbon dosing does increase water column bacteria populations, and skimming does remove some bacteria with their attendant nutrient loads. Thus, the underlying science behind this approach to nutrient export appears valid.”

Jay

Back