Sump Baffles

Bonvivant

Hello, I have a quick question. I am making a 40 gallon breeder into a sump. I want to make baffles that are 10'' high. I have some double strength glass panes laying around. I know they are too thin, but I was wondering whether siliconing them together would be sufficient to strengthen them up enough to work as baffles. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

They are .125 each. Together they are 1/4 inch. I think I will use them for my inner baffles and get some 1/4 for the pressure bearing baffles. Hey, hebygd, I actually grew up in Melrose but my cousin and brother in law are Elmhurst natives. Both attended York. You?

I've lived there for 25 years... My son went and graduated from York in '09. Good to see another reefer in town although my reefs are located here at my contract in KC.

Let me add an unrelated piece of advise. I made my sump in a similar fashion and really wish I had made the last set of baffles shorter. The sump is very deep now and when I cut off the pumps it comes very very close to overflowing. I should have left more room down there. So plan for that when you put it together.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

They'll be fine for baffles. But seems like a little more work than it's worth. If youre going to get some solid 1/4" baffles made anyway, might as well get em all made.

Back