sump light and algae question

StephNewman

What is the best kind of light for the sump? i plan on having rock and some type of algae in it. What algae is best at helping to keep nitrates down.

+1 on cheatomorpha. Don't use caulerpa, if it goes asexual or a piece gets a foothold in the display you will have a nightmare on your hands, I speak from experience. :rolleyes:

As far as a light you want something in the 6500k to 10000k range. Many people just use the screw in spiral compact fluorescent bulbs from the hardware store with good success, you can get them in the 6500k color temp plus they are cheap and serve the purpose well.

I was using the 6500k screw in and did not have good sccess with it. My chaeto kept dying off. would like to get something diffrent, any suggestions?

What wattage bulbs and how many were you using? Were you using a reflector of any kind? Just curious because I use a cheap ($30) 65W PC fixture I got from aquatraders.com but if/when that dies I was planning to go with screw ins based on other people using them successfully.

I use a 24" PC dual fixture that I took off a smaller tank. I leave it on for about 14 hours a day, and I am frequently throwing out Chaeto.

Bruce

I use a spiral bulb from Lowes. 100watt replacement in the 6500k range. Make sure to find the right spectrum. I used a 2400? spectrum and had no results. When I switched to the 6500k the stuff went crazy. I put it in a 6 dollar housing I also got at Lowes.

swirly 6500k bulbs from walmart with clip on light fixture, chaeto grows goods and sump is covered in purple coralline algae.

I was using the 6500k swirly light 15 watts from walmart and I left it on 24/7 and had the cheap circular metal reflector, did not get good results but maybe it was for some other reason than the lighting

i use a light from wally world, but its across the isle from the swirly ones...
It looks like a flood light, 65 watts, called a "show and grow" for plants...they also sell an incandescent bulb for plants as well, but they dont last very long...
the floodlight type works well, is cheap, easy to find, and I have it in one of those cheap aluminum reflectors ...painters light i think they are called..

mine even has salt build up on it from splashing, I'm surprised it didnt break...but i guess they are thicker glass than a normal incandescent..

Back