Sump pluming question...

JhonQ

Hi... I finally finished my first sump and plumed it into my display tank.. I have a 125 gal long tank with to overflow boxes in each corner...my problem is that in one side of the tank my water is overflowing into the box and daring but on the other end the water is not overflowing in to the box...here is a pic of my durso standpipe ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346901364.542275.jpg... According to the place I got it from is not adjustable... I was thinking of adding a valve to the side that is draining and slowing the flow enough to see if it overflows on the other side... Anybody have any experience with something like this...

Can you show a picture of the top of the standpipe. From the bottom i cant tell what is going on.

When I first set it up it was leveled... Right now I don't have the tool to check it... Here is a pic of the top I had to completely close one side in order to get flow in the other...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346926687.295786.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346926701.426240.jpg

Let's say is not leveled... Anybody Everett try and level a full tank...here's a pic of the tank when I was setting it up...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346927439.863226.jpg

Found the tool.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346929870.569536.jpg
According to it both sides are leveled... What do you think if a get a longer pipe on one side.. In order to raise the water level and get both boxes working...

Ok, if either of your drain pipes can handle the total flow from your return pump, then if 1 is lower than the other, the other one will merely serve as a emergency drain.

So I should just use one and leave the other sit... Should I add a small pump to the side not draining to keep mold from forming...

Is the problem with the piping or the overflow box? I noticed from your picture that you have a straight weir and most fish tanks i am used to seeing have a picket weir. (as seen in the picture attached)

If you fill the tank with water until the water is level with the top of the weir of one box what is the difference in water level to the top of the box on the other side of the tank?

Attachments

• aquarium-overflow-box-700-gph[1].jpg
    aquarium-overflow-box-700-gph[1].jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
I believe there should be a small hole in the top of the elbow forming your stand pipe. If there isn't anyway to let the air be displaced by the water, air will be trapped in the elbow and the water can't flow in. Would be strange for the manufacturer not to have drilled this hole if you bought the set-up pre-made, but may as well check everything at this point.

Found the tool.. View attachment 202527
According to it both sides are leveled... What do you think if a get a longer pipe on one side.. In order to raise the water level and get both boxes working...

that bubble looks like the left side is lower than the right. Bubble does not look centered. Either way, it may be best to pull the piping out of the overflows and make sure they are dead even in height as well as evenly slip fit into the bulkhead(one is not inserted further than the other). Also a good idea to make sure that the vent hole in the durso is the same size and both are free of any burrs. Finally, if the flow is favoring one side,the current may be raising the water level a bit higher and allowing for that side to overflow vs the other. Do not let one sit, it will become a low flow detritus collection area...best to work it out and get both overflows running.

Last edited:
Is the problem with the piping or the overflow box? I noticed from your picture that you have a straight weir and most fish tanks i am used to seeing have a picket weir. (as seen in the picture attached)

If you fill the tank with water until the water is level with the top of the weir of one box what is the difference in water level to the top of the box on the other side of the tank?

If I fill one side to the to of the box the other side is a little lower...that's why I was thinking of making one standpipe a little longer to raise the water level and try to get both boxes going...I can't really take the boxes a part and try to even them out... I would have to completely take the tank apart...

Use silicone and glue a piece plastic (acrylic) onto the lower overflow to make the two equal heights. 1/4 inch off and one side will flow 200-300gph more than the other.

Back