Sump question.

itz frank

Gives Bad Advice.
Ok. I haven't been able to find any reading on this other then people stating that they've got Sand and live rock in their sumps for fitration. I don't have any sand in my sump. It's just barebottom and makeshift. My problem is that i've developed quite a bit of debri on the bottom on the sump and I'm wonder what to do to eliminate this problem, other then syphoning(sp?) it out. I don't want to use a filter sock because i have a refugium and want it to be fed by the excess. Any ideas? Thanks -frank.

IMHO, you've got it just right! Skimming and siphoning out is the best way to get rid of junk. Sand will become quite dirty in a nanosecond, and you'll be siphoning not only junk, but previously put sand.

REEF_ON!!!

Occasional draining and then shopvac work as does a maxi-jet with the strainer off to suck the bottom clean, normal maintenance.

At water change time, I shut off the return, pump all the water out of the sump and discard it, clean the sump really good and wipe it down. I then fill the sump up with the new water and turn the pump on. Water change=clean sump:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8114921#post8114921 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hop
At water change time, I shut off the return, pump all the water out of the sump and discard it, clean the sump really good and wipe it down. I then fill the sump up with the new water and turn the pump on. Water change=clean sump:)
Good idea.

Maxi Jet and a hose is what I've done to clean a sump.

why clean the sump? it's all good stuff in the system. if your running a prefilter on your overflow you should have almost nothing on the bottom the sump any way. tube worms and all kinds of cool stuff will grow in your sump. a complete cleaning of the sump is way too much work.

Ok well i have no prefilter and everything just kinda runs through the sump. I don't even have dividing baffles in it yet. No substrate and no live rock in the sump either. Nor a sock. I only have chaeto in it.

Back