Sump setup predrilled 150 gallon questions

RainFish

I have a 150 gallon aquarium.
It is pre-drilled but on each end not in the middle.

I do not have much room under this tank. I am wondering if I can use 2 20 gallon longs for my sump setup. I would plumb 1 sump tank to each side of the display tank. Is this completely wrong or would it work? Also what size pumps would I put in each sump to return the water?

I am open to suggestions for sump setup and design.

Previously I had a 55 gallon with an overflow and 1 sump. I've been out of the hobby many years and decided to go big this time.

Welcome to Reef Central! I’ve never done a dual sump set up so I can’t help there.

I would likely just run the plumbing from one end at a 90 or 45 degree to the side for the sump. That said, if you do this, I’d consider a larger sump maybe a 40 Breeder or 60 gallon as a 20 gallon sump seems pretty small for a 150.

Personally, I would use both overflows. Tie them together under the tank and drop them into one sump. Use an over the top return. You don't want a ton of water flowing through the sump.You do want a fairly larger sump though. I could image a bit of water coming down in a power outage. The extra space in the sump covers for that.

I have a 150 gallon aquarium.
It is pre-drilled but on each end not in the middle.

I do not have much room under this tank. I am wondering if I can use 2 20 gallon longs for my sump setup. I would plumb 1 sump tank to each side of the display tank. Is this completely wrong or would it work? Also what size pumps would I put in each sump to return the water?

I am open to suggestions for sump setup and design.

Previously I had a 55 gallon with an overflow and 1 sump. I've been out of the hobby many years and decided to go big this time.
I'm pretty sure they won't stay balanced even if you had identicle pumps in each sump. You would need to have two top-offs and they would get fooled as one pump gains on the other and trips the ATO beyond evaporation. You could bulkhead the two sumps together and have one return. That's how my current system is - I had a couple old 20's sitting around so I tied them together as a single sump with a 1.5" bulkhead and a big ring of silicone between the two tanks. I left it thick so I can cut them apart in the future. Works great.

Back