Sunday June 14th TBRC Beach/Collection Trip @ Ft. De Soto

Mrs Postal

Fun for the family; A rare Sunday event where we provide the burgers/hot dogs/drinks and you all bring your families & a side dish! We will be meeting at Arrowhead in Ft. De Soto so please come join us. I will be posting the FWC license requirements shortly and there is a $5 parking fee per car. No other fees and you need not be a TBRC member to attend. This will be our June "meeting" and we still start grilling at 11am.

3500 Pinellas Bayway South, Tierra Verde, FL 33715

ft_desoto_map.jpg

I've been waiting for the next meeting so I could become a member, would this b a chance for me to join? And if so, what do I need to bring to become a member?

Yeah that makes sense, the beach will be more complicated. I'll do that, I'll join via Paypal. Looking forward to it.

Mrs postal I went on that link that you gave me but it was just a link to some email address. It wasn't PayPal so not sure what happened.

You need to go to www.paypal.com and then you use our address and click "pay for goods/services". You need to have a PayPal account in order to pay that way. If you do not, hold on to your cash until the beach day and I will bring the cash box and the receipt book.Thanks!

I grew up in tierra verde and have spent a lot of hours in the water around southern Pinellas so let me help you guys out a little.

Your meeting spot is a cool place but not exactly a prime area for life ime. If you follow the beach west you will come to a big cut with a deep hole and some rocks on the west side. Those rocks and the surrounding flats are stuffed with all kinds of fish and inverts, it was one of my original fishing spots back in the day and still produces.

I will remind you guys also that all the big sharks are in town right now with the tarpon. I had a 10 foot monster bull shark circle me a few times last week before she decided my hogfish wasn't worth it and went to go pick on my buds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-01-13-42-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-13-42-57.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1
I'll be there with printouts of FWC collection regulations to let everyone know what we can/can't take! Bring your fishing licenses!

So do we need a Saltwater fishing license or is there a special one?

Does it cost anything to get into Fort Desoto?

And finally, I went to the FWC website but not sure which regulation
that applies to us.

Thanks.....

The meeting place is actually at the sea wall and there are grass flats out there. We have gone several times over the years and have always found lots of interesting stuff there. We have always found pipefish, grass shrimp, string rays, cow fish, various crabs and snails there especially at low tide. The place we have chosen isn't just on a whim, I promise.

anyone collecting on Sunday?

anyone collecting on Sunday?

Here's a great FWC site for ornamental collection:

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

You NEED a fishing license to collect. I think it costs ~$5 to get into Desoto.

Hi- I am a reef fish biologist doing the DNA sequencing of all of the Caribbean reef fishes for the DNA Barcode Project that is trying to DNA sequence all the fish species of the world"¦

http://ibol.org/about-us/

You have a little blenny that is found off Tampa that we still do not have a DNA sample for. I was hoping you guys could collect some for me when you doing your local collecting. It is the Zebratail Blenny, Hypleurochilus caudovittatus. It is the only blenny with the long horns found around shallow sandy rocky areas there.

Here are some photos- they look just like the common crested blennies of east FL and the featherduster/crested blennies of the northern GOM. They don't have the spots all over the head like the feather or freckled blennies.

The easiest way to keep them for DNA would be to freeze them in a ziplok bag and I can send some alcohol to whomever has them.

Ben

Benjamin Victor
www.coralreeffish.com

I'm really looking forward to this, any suggestions on gear to bring? I have a good battery operated airator and some buckets but that's about it.

The meeting place is actually at the sea wall and there are grass flats out there. We have gone several times over the years and have always found lots of interesting stuff there. We have always found pipefish, grass shrimp, string rays, cow fish, various crabs and snails there especially at low tide. The place we have chosen isn't just on a whim, I promise.

:( Just trying to help.

I would bet i've spent more time with my face in that water than anyone on this site...

Plus,

My suggested spot is really close so I see no reason to not at least give it a look, if for nothing else but variety's sake.... good luck to yal either way. :beachbum:

We are sorry to announce that the Beach/Collection trip has been cancelled. We need more folks to confirm that they are attending given the work that has to be done to prepare for the day. We are planning to reschedule later in the fall.

Back