Sunrise

what is this "keep the filter in motion during the shot" you talk about???? (I feel like someone just turned on a light in a very dark room)

:)

I don't use a filter holder because they're a hassle. I hand hold the filter in front of the lens. Many of the shots where I'm using one are pretty long exposures (10-30 seconds). I move the filter in a small circular pattern while holding it in front of the lens.

"Thanks" doesn't seem like enuf of a comment...So how much do I owe ya, and where do I send the cheque?

Seriously, that's a hell-of-a good tip/technique that never dawned on me before... you sir, win the internet!

Graduated filters can be fun also. Sometimes you can't always visualize the effect of post processing so having a filter at hand and looking through the viewfinder could make your shot also. I was always taught, 'if you can do it during the shoot, do it'.

Doug - I must say that I admire your work, you have a great eye and exceptional understanding of exposure and post processing. Still, I feel quite different than about the use of using grads, particlarly in specific situations. I think that in the mountains (or any place with with harsh dips in the horizon line) even moving the filter will still leave detectable traces of under exposure on the tree tops or mountains. (though a neutral grad works great at a beach or other palce with a relatively staright horizon).

Seems to be that the laws of physics say that if you are moving it enough to keep the mountain or tree top exposed properly, then the horizon line in the same plane will then be over exposed (because as you are well aware they may differ by as much as 4 stops or more between your foreground and the sky).

I would love to take this shot again in digital. Sadly the last time I was there was in the film days. Though the light on the mountains was fantastic the under exposure in the shaded mountains on the left and the trees on the right are just unaccpetable to me (and I also hand hold the filter moving to help "graduate" the graduated filter even more). This was I think a 3 or 4 stop difference.

lake-moraine-sunrise.jpg

For something like this they are great. Still, I still think the digital approach gives more specificity and flexibility - but yeah, it's an extra step or two. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

_MG_6727.jpg

Like I said early, there is no wrong and right. In your first example I'd have used a softer edged filter and then dodged the dark areas on the left and right edge. One of the guys that I shoot with on a regular basis almost never uses one. I'm never out shooting without them in my pocket. It's just a matter or preference. Like on the moonrise shot I will blend if the situation calls for it but it's not usually my first choice.

Cheers

yeah, I tried to wiggle the filter in a circular pattern to keep the middle held back and the edges lighter. That was like 9 years ago.....I'd probably do better now. Though for me PS is the bomb so I'd just do it there).

Do they make varitaions of edge softness? I thought either they were "soft" or "hard" edged?

As far as I know there is just soft and hard. I was under the, possibly wrong, assumption that you were using a hard edged filter. No worries.

Yeah, it was a soft edge. If memory serves me it was a 1 and a 2 stop stacked togther to further the gradation density. Man, it was eons ago though so who knows.

Andy - love the mist in that 3rd one. Nice....

Joshua Tree - Gotta love Velvia...

Joshua-cresent-moon-dawn.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13650134#post13650134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blazer88
Awesome shots Doug. I'm loving #3 from Mono Lake. I was there last spring but it was middle of the day with clear skies :( You definitely make Mono Lake look like a nice place, lol.

Here is one from Lake Tahoe (Emerald Bay) from back in April.
Tahoe10.jpg

Blazer- this is a beautiful shot. Well done.
:thumbsup:

Sunrise is my favorite time of day. The pics on this thread begin to describe the awesome beauty of that time. Nice job everyone.

TS, the first one of your last posting does something for me. The combination of color, reflection, symmetry and shapes I guess.

The clouds were awesome. See how they touch the horizon without a break? It was like that across the whole field of view to the left and right. If you look close right at the horizon line you can see a thick fog. The sun was behind the clouds. I caught two sea trout and a ~25" redfish.

These shots are all stunning. I particularly enjoyed Andy's on the last page. Although I do have to say they precipitate a sad undertone for me....I wish I had the time/lifestyle to travel more.

TS, the first one of your last posting does something for me. The combination of color, reflection, symmetry and shapes I guess.

Thank you, I particularly feel the depth of the trees, to the water, to reflection, to trees, to water, to the road I soon crossed, to fog, to trees, to clouds, to the sunrise behind made the photograph.
BTW the space shuttle launch pads are in the photograph but too small to see. I could see them with my naked eye however, knowing exactly where to look.

Back