Supplemental Lighting for Mixed Reef

ekean

I have a Current USA Orbit Marine Pro LED 48" on a mixed reef 65 gallon reef tank. I've had it running for about 2 months and have pretty good growth. I also have a 2 bulb T-8 48 inch florescent fixture that I would like to add for supplemental lighting. Can anyone recommend a brand and best type of bulb?

In general a T5 (HO) is the better bulb/fixture to use and one thats available in various "reef spectrums",etc... FAR more use T5 than T8 for reefing..

There are a "small few" T8's though marketed towards the "reef world".. Coralife and zoo med make some.. No idea how "good" they are

Really is about what you want to supplement.. Do you want more "blue/violet" or a 6500k white or what?

Would like to see more of the blue and reds.

So better "color rendition" ?
A "fuller" spectrum bulb will help with that vs an actinic (which will give blues but not show red colors properly)

Note: more "red" will promote more algae growth..

Note: I've never used this but just showing options..
Something like this.. a 50/50 bulb will give you actinic (blue) and a nice crisp white (fuller spectrum)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8066+4497&pcatid=4497

Frankly much of this is personal preference and what looks "good" to us doesn't mean its what the corals need..

Question about red causing more algae growth. This is a bit of a tangent but will assist in deciding what kind of supplemental lighting I should get

Never had that much of an issue with algae in my DT. I recently built a refugium (about 6 months ago) that I keep the light on 24/7. It's a separate tank. I don't have a sump so I've turned it into a "show" fuge so my wife will still let me keep it in the living room! It's actually pretty cool and seems to get more attention from visitors than the display tank. (See pic below)

Anyway, I do get some algae in the fuge (which I stay on top of) and was under the notion that the fuge with a light on 24/7 will help in keeping algae out of the display tank. Is that incorrect?

picture.php

Back