Surprise gift from step dad jump starts my new build!!!

I’ve had both glass and acrylic. And I’ve scratched both. Each has pros and cons.

Ocean view passed off a couple of tricks for cleaning acrylic to me when I got his 280. Old credit cards are awesome to use for cleaning coral line off and magic erasers

I’ve only had glass tanks for anything larger than 5 gallons (so I may be a bit biased and who knows the smaller tanks may have just been clear plastic)

That said, I always struggled getting any kind of calcerous algae off those tanks. Meanwhile I can take a razor blade to my glass tanks and not have any issues.

The only downside I’ve seen to glass tanks is weight as they get bigger.

Some custom builders I’ve seen is Glass Cages, Fish Tanks Direct, Tenecor (acrylic), planet, reef savvy, and crystal dynamics. I have no experience with any of those manufacturers though

It really does love acrylic. If you have the time to clean by hand everyday or two you’re golden. Acrylic is lighter, clearer, cheaper (at this time) and quicker to buy. Glass is just….much easier.

I’ve had both glass and acrylic. And I’ve scratched both. Each has pros and cons.

Ocean view passed off a couple of tricks for cleaning acrylic to me when I got his 280. Old credit cards are awesome to use for cleaning coral line off and magic erasers
I think my wife will take my CC from me this time around :LOL:

There’s already so much maintenance with these things that I really don’t want to make it harder on myself. That’s one of the reasons why we try not to complicate things too much (multiple points of failure, etc.).

I’m going to look into those suppliers. Thanks, everyone. You guys have always rocked.

Ocean view aka Hershel sold his Envision Acrylics 280 gallon acrylic tank to buy a 300 gallon deep dimension glass tank too.

Back