Surprise gift from step dad jump starts my new build!!!

Have to say that I've done the same over the years, but this build I'm going the "safe" direction. Thinking right now two 20gal for QT to give me the ability to use TTM or treat in stages.

Back in the nineties I had a ick outbreak and cost me $300 worth of fish because I rolled the dice.

I'm contemplating having one. I haven't even started anything for my ATO yet so maybe when I get there I will make the decision to do so. Nothing is going in the tank for a few weeks anyways.

Blast from the past bump.

I had to step away from the hobby in 2018 due to being laid off and gave away every single tank and piece of equipment from this build. I was traveling up to Chicago each week and couldn't keep up the maintenance during my weekends home. Now five years later I have my old job again and am looking to get the system up and running again. Now I just need to find another display to fit the hole in the wall. I figured I'd come back here first and see if anyone is looking to get rid of something near these dimensions (72x24-27x22-5)? Years ago a standard 180 was 72x24x24. My opening has some wiggle room front to back and height.

I wish I had kept everything but at the time I wasn't sure if we were going to have to relocate to Chicago. Fortunately, that wasn't the case and I can begin the journey again.

I see a lot has changed in the past five years. Seems like closed loop systems are almost a thing of the past and hallides are all but dead. I am open to all suggestions going forward. Hope you all don't mind the old school bump.

Cheers,
Anthony

Welcome back!

The hobby has changed quite a bit. Halides are still around but much harder to find (generally used from the local classifieds). LED is pretty much the front runner with a bit of T5 as well.

If you don’t mind used, I’d definitely look at local Facebook groups as that’s where I usually find the best deals. Every now and then a good deal pops up in the classifieds here or local club forums.

Also, for the future, Chicago hosts one of the Aquashella trade shows each year - 2024 is in August.

Welcome back!

The hobby has changed quite a bit. Halides are still around but much harder to find (generally used from the local classifieds). LED is pretty much the front runner with a bit of T5 as well.

If you don’t mind used, I’d definitely look at local Facebook groups as that’s where I usually find Ah the best deals. Every now and then a good deal pops up in the classifieds here or local club forums.

Also, for the future, Chicago hosts one of the Aquashella trade shows each year - 2024 is in August.
Thanks, I didn't even think of FB groups. I try to steer clear of social media but I used their marketplace to build a few of my mining rigs which replaced my reef system. As for Aquashella, that sounds fun, I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks, I didn't even think of FB groups. I try to steer clear of social media but I used their marketplace to build a few of my mining rigs which replaced my reef system. As for Aquashella, that sounds fun, I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!
Just don’t forget us after visiting them 😁

Personal preference IMO. I had a 450 acrylic way back when. It was super clear but over time developed some scratches and, being 30" tall, it was very difficult to get the lower scratches out. Based on that, I would not go with a large acrylic tank again...yes, I would do a smaller one.

Of the low iron tanks I've seen, they are very clear as well.

What would you pick with my size 180-200? The main reason I’m asking is because I can get the right size acrylic for much cheaper than I can get a glass one built. Weight and longevity is also on the acrylics side. And since I am considering bare bottom, there will be a lower chance of scratching it. I am keeping my eyes open everywhere for used tanks and since I plan on this taking a while, I have plenty of time to think it out. But as you are probably aware, a tank might become available and pushes me in one direction. I’m also thinking of starting a 75 now so that I can have stuff ready to transfer over. Plus, it gives me a chance to get my feet wet again

I forgot to ask what are the best places currently to order or have a custom tank made? I know glass cages has upped their game some

I’d go glass all day long. 24 years at this and reefs and acrylic are a huge PIA.

Glass Cages builds a solid tank for a decent price.
My previous tank was from GC. It seems their prices have increased.
I’d go glass all day long. 24 years at this and reefs and acrylic are a huge PIA.
Besides scratches, what are your cons to acrylic tanks?

Btw I appreciate all the input. Also, still wondering who else is building or supplies quality tanks at a fair price.

Everything is crazy expensive compared to a few years ago. My cuckoo clock from Bavaria that I paid $1500 for 2 years ago is now $2200.

Coraline algae has an affinity to grow on acrylic which is not easy to remove without scratching the pane. If you go in there every day or two with a hand mitten you can prevent coraline from growing but that’s a big commitment.

Glass is just so much easier if real life sets in and you can’t hand clean the acrylic every day or two, think summertime, vacations, illness, etc.

I’ve had probably 15 good friends that had acrylic and said “never again” due to maintenance.

Coraline algae has an affinity to grow on acrylic
Ah, see I did *NOT* know know this. Valuable information. It was difficult enough to deal with on glass. If it’s worse on acrylic that’s a major negative

Last edited:
Back