Switching to LEDs

I would go with the biggest you can fit, so 24 inch. I also run Reefbreeders and have had good luck (even with a 30" deep tank). I do supplement with T5's also. FT shot is hard for me as I stink at photographs and also depending on time of day, colors are different. Your welcome to stop over anytime and take a look at my tank. I can change settings so you can see different intensities and with/without T5's etc.

mike

Thanks Mike for the information, and maybe I can swing by and check out your tank sometime [emoji3]. (I still need to make it out to a meeting sometime). I think for the money and from what I have been reading I'm going to try out the Reefbreeders. I like the features it comes with, and if you guys run them and grow sps then I know they will fit my needs for my mixed reef. If later down the road I decide that I don't like them or want other options I'm sure I could sell them and go for radions. But for now I will definitely order them soon. Thank you all for the input on which to go with.

I have a 265 gallon w/ 8-165 watt Chinese led's. Anyone who has seen my tank knows how well corals grow and thrive. In the 3 years I have had one go out. I replaced it w/ a new one for $75 including shipping. Hard to beat at that price. Shipping back any other for repairs will cost you at least half of that. Anyone else have any experience with the Chinese

Pic of the tank I took 3 days ago.

0A284638-5631-46BD-912B-92D249E8F7D4_zpsxaz6uty2.jpg
ones.

I think you nailed it on the hard to beat that price.

However I will say I know you get what you pay for and I know that you get cheaper LEDs with these China made products (not talking about reefbreeders). Take wave makers for example, some people like me have been running the China made products for years no problems. Some have problems out of the box. Compared to the high end ones that last for 10+ years at max power no issues. Hit or miss I suppose. But I still think reefbreeders are the way I will go for now due to how many people here have successfully kept and grow sps with them. Thank you all for the input.

I love the fact that even though I'm on a tight budget I can enjoy some of the reef as well I have three Chinese as well. I have had tunze and will admit they are awesome. My jeboa power head is awesome as well. At the end of the day I would love to see a science experiment done with two corals placed under each lighting to see if any growth difference is observed.

I love the fact that even though I'm on a tight budget I can enjoy some of the reef as well I have three Chinese as well. I have had tunze and will admit they are awesome. My jeboa power head is awesome as well. At the end of the day I would love to see a science experiment done with two corals placed under each lighting to see if any growth difference is observed.

I am working on that build right now that will allow me to run tests like that

I am working on that build right now that will allow me to run tests like that

LOOKING good roger ....And that will be very interesting to see the results of the different lights and what they can actually do especially when the water parameters are perfect and the same....

I am still confused on why people think cree are not Chinese. Not knocking them its just where most led's come from.

Just ordered my reefbreeder LED's! Can't wait for them
to arrive [emoji16][emoji16]! I will post before and after with them. It will probably be a bit before I turn them up. I'll let my corals adjust to the new lights and every week or every other week I'll turn the percentage of the lights up some.

I am still confused on why people think cree are not Chinese. Not knocking them its just where most led's come from.

I was going to comment likewise :). There is also an important item such as bin grouping (kind of like diamond grading) that comes along with the LEDs. Each place has their own criteria and it is a function of price per LED.

Anyway, enjoy your new light!!

I want to start this by saying I'm a fan of reefbreeders and bridgelux leds in general. People think Crees aren't Chinese because they are manufactured in the US. Their main plant is in Durham. Watt for watt they put out more light than bridgelux. The worst Cree bins are more powerful that the best bridgelux (talking 3w chips).

However, you don't really need that extra power. With bridgelux (like reefbreeders uses), you simply use more leds. Even using more, they're still cheaper, plus using more gives you the opportunity to get a better color mix, and a better spread.

Good choice Vorog, you should really like them.

The issue is, Bridgelux actually makes really high quality LEDs, the problem is, the Chinese are buying low binned ones and using them, the other thing is, Bridgelux only made two 3w LEDs, royal blue and green, which I don't think they still make green anymore. They'll take an 3w Bridgelux royal blue LED and phosphor dope them to make them white, so they're technically bridgelux, they're just not a 3w Bridgelux white LED.
The bridgelux BXRA and Vero series are bad @ss LEDs though.

Got my lights in! :lol2: Installing them now, going to take some time to adjust them. I figure ill have them about 9'' above water level, and keep them at about 30% for corals to adjust. Every week or two I will increase the lights by 10%. That should be fine right?

No prob. If it was me I would 5% every 10 days. I'm guessing that's the smallest increments? Remember it takes 2 weeks min to really see how the corals are really feeling after change. I normally say 6 weeks to see. So I wouldn't start numbing it the 5% for a couple few weeks. Good luck

Back