Switching to LEDs

So here is what I have so far...
(Please note- I am trying to have the sunrise/sunset effect. Also keeping my lights at no more than 25% max. I was hanging them about 9' over the water. But I kinda like the look of using the mounting kit that it comes with that puts the lights about 5" over the water. Here is my light cycle).

10.AM 1% MOON
11.AM 7% MOON
12.PM 12%BLUES
1.PM 20% BLUES 10% WHITES
2.PM 25% BLUES 17% WHITES
3.PM 25% BLUES 20% WHITES
4.PM 25% BLUES 25% WHITES
5.PM 25% BLUES 20% WHITES
6.PM 20% BLUES 17% WHITES
7.PM 12% BLUES 10% WHITES
8.PM 10% BLUES
9.PM 7% MOON
10.PM 1% MOON

I have been running my T5 for a while on a similar cycle and had good growth and no bleaching

Iirc, Reefbreeders has an excel spreadsheet that uses a sin curve formula to replicate sunrise/sunset. Simply enter your max setting, and it calculates a nice smooth light schedule. :beer: I believe its on their website in the FAQ section.

Iirc, Reefbreeders has an excel spreadsheet that uses a sin curve formula to replicate sunrise/sunset. Simply enter your max setting, and it calculates a nice smooth light schedule. :beer: I believe its on their website in the FAQ section.

I found it. Thank for the help I will have to set it after work today :thumbsup

f51f84dc597d5be5bbcb8a169e2b2367.jpg

Crappy cell pic of lights the day I got them. I'll take better ones with more whites

Looks good so far ....I have yet to take good photos my camera picks up on so much blue and purple pink color it really never looks that much in person

Switching to LEDs

Looks good so far ....I have yet to take good photos my camera picks up on so much blue and purple pink color it really never looks that much in person

Thanks man, that's the 29 I got from you a while back lol. It's just a temporary tank for now until I get the 120 I want to build. (Would love to go bigger but the budget doesn't allow any bigger and also 48" is the longest I can go). This tank is doing pretty good, I lost a few sps and LPS along the way. Had a birdsnest that lasted forever then had a power outage for a few hours and i noticed he had a little bit of bleaching a day later, and it slowly went from bottom up. Thought he was going to make it but didn't. The power outage was the only thing I can think of that caused this. (No battery backup at the time) my water quality is for the most part stable cal 450, alk 11, and mag 1355. Using coral pro with elevated levels. And my Duncan grew three heads but lost one randomly...weirdest thing I have seen and the other heads are doing great! What can I say reef tanks for you. Lol

Oh should also note I had a air tube from my skimmer running outside and my PH was stable around 8.1, now that I don't use that tube it's about 7.9 that's low so I'll be dosing kalk in my ATO for now. I will replace the tube running outside (it got mold and crap in it) but for now I'll try kalk and see if it helps

Try opening a window. If your home is healthy you don't need to boost your ph.

The only time I open the windows is when it's cool outside. Other than that they are closed. I have a small access for cables to run outside that I use for the skimmer air line. It works great but the tube gets moisture in it from the elements and builds up mold on the end that's exposed outside. It's not a big deal I just get another air line from Home Depot and replace it every 6-8 months. I just currently don't have it hooked up to the airline and noticed my PH dropped a little. So I will try kalk dosing in my ATO for now and run the air line outside and see how it does.

Fyi , when your house is unhealthy for you tank it is just as bad for you. You may not notice it in one day but it is accumulative. One day it will catch up to you. Kalk for raising ph is a bandaid at best, not a solution. I run my alk around 8 and run absolutely no ph boosters and see 8.3 every afternoon.

Back