T5 Bulb Combo Suggestions for 75 gallon reef 6 bulbs

ltkenbo

I have a 75 gallon reef tank with a 6x54w bulb current nova extreme pro fixture. I'm looking for bulb combos for some new bulbs. I only have 4 bulbs in right now and they are old (recently started my tank back up). I currently have:
2x ati aqua blue special
2x ati blue plus

Obviously I need 6 bulbs, but I'd like something that brings out the colors better, but at the same time provides good PAR (unlike actinics).

I was thinking maybe this combo:
4x ATI blue plus
1x ATI purple plus
1x GE 6500K daylight

or a more blue look would be:
4x ATI blue plus
1x ATI purple plus
1x ATI aquablue special

I'd seen someone who did the first combo (with the GE instead of the ATI aquablue bulb) on here somewhere and it looked really good. Can anyone give there opinions on these or attest to them?

How do you think this would look? Would it bring out the colors better but at the same time provide decent lighting for corals? I only have LPS and softies right now, but maybe in the future would like a couple Sps and maybe a claim.

3 blue plus
2 coral plus
1 purple plus.
You will like the coral over the aquablue special most likely. The AB special washes the blue plus color right out.

Details

ATI 54W Coral Plus T5 High-Output Fluorescent bulb combines the properties of a Blue Plus (~50%), Aquablue Special (~40%) and Purple Plus (~10%) producing a bulb with a cool, crisp white color with hints of red and blue. The higher blue component compared to an Aquablue Special produces better fluorescence in capable corals and the red component is excellent for color rendition. Approximate color temperature: 15000K+. Recommended Use: as a stand-alone bulb or in combination with Blue Plus, Purple Plus, True Actinic or other supplemental T5 bulbs.

The only other bulb I would suggest in place of this one would be the G.E. 6500K. I know that a lot of people like the Purple Plus, but I think it overpowers a 6 bulb setup. If you were running an 8 bulb setup, I would recommend adding 1 purple plus.

Anyone got any pics of the setups mentioned?

The only other bulb I would suggest in place of this one would be the G.E. 6500K. I know that a lot of people like the Purple Plus, but I think it overpowers a 6 bulb setup. If you were running an 8 bulb setup, I would recommend adding 1 purple plus.

So you are saying ge 6500 instead of the purple plus? Would that wash the colors out?

When I was running the G.E. 6500K it really helped bring out some of the colors, but it was a new setup with no coralline or growth on the rocks. I did notice an odd yellow tint on the white rocks, but had great color otherwise. I haven't ran one in a few years so I'm not sure how it would look on a mature tank? The previous setup front to back was as follows....
1 - Blue Plus
2 - Coral Plus
3 - Blue Plus
4 - Blue Plus
5 - G.E. 6500k
6 - Blue Plus

I did try the purple plus in that combination, and never found it to my liking. Once the KZ New Generation was introduced, I really liked it in place of the G.E. I do tend to like my tank around the 16K to 18K range, and with the current combination that's just about right. I have some older pictures somewhere on an old hard drive, but don't have them available at the moment. I am still running T-5s on a 90G tank which are 18 months old, and they are producing a ton of cyano on my sand bed. Now before anyone flames me for running old bulbs, they are getting replaced with LEDs just as soon as I find the time to finish the fixtures for that tank. I run nothing but LEDs on all of my other tanks. Don't get me wrong.... T-5s are a great tried and true setup for anyone that is somewhat new to keeping corals. I just love a challenge, and have replaced my MHs and T-5s with LEDs. For the Blues, nothing beats the ATI Blue Plus. Stay away from the Aquablue special... disaster of a bulb.

Oh OK, well I'll go with one of them, at least it's only 1 bulb to switch if I don't like one or the other. Yeah I think the reason everything looks not as brilliant now is the stupid aqua blue bulbs, don't like them.

Back