T5 hybrid

fishkeeprian

Hello I have a T5 hybrid 4 T5s 3 blue plus and 1 purple plus along with two Radion g5 xr15 running at 65% each. I'm only running t5s 2 hours aday at the moment and Rampping then up slowly to hit 6hours aday.

My fixture is 8inches above water line but is this low?

You lose a lot more light intensity through the water than the air. So if you need more room under them for tank maintenance 'n stuff you should be fine to raise it a bit. You have the luxury of being able to turn up your radions to compensate. Possible downsides could be light spillage, where you get blinded from your viewing position, and more film algae on the glass.

8 inches seems okay to me. Are you having any particular problems?

When T5 and Radions are on together it just seems really bright. I don’t have a par metre so the actual par and visual with be different.

Tank is 50 gallon breeder size didn’t know if it was to much.

Also I don’t want a hotspot in the centre where the spread of the Radions cross over. Brs recommendation 8 inches above water line and if using two fixtures xr15 13 inches from the side, but this was in a 4ft. How would you set them up on a 3ft, side to side to reduce that centre hotspot?

Last edited:
I don't know how to avoid the hotspot other than by raising the fixture, which should help some. Without a PAR meter, it's hard to be sure, but I suspect that the brightness is fine for corals that live high on the reef in the sun. I might try moving them up bit by bit, to see what happens. Maybe someone can help you hold them up a bit just to check the esthetics.

Back