T5 Only SPS reef?

PotysGSXR

I remember there were a few threads where some European reefers only used t5s on their SPS setups yet had some of the most beautiful SPS reefs I had ever seen. Does anyone have a link to these threads? Thank you.

Still I can not belive 100% that sps can grow crazily under T5. I still belive MH is best light for SPS.

i agree that sps grow best under MH but look at the color i'm getting with t-5's

latest089.jpg

Lordhelmet....what bulbs are you using?? How high of the surface do you have the TEK.

Here is my 55g with icecap SLRS and geisemann bulbs.

Its not this blue in person but my camera is not a good one. Some colors are good...and some need work and time.

Tank2SEPT06.jpg

T5's are starting to get "very" popular in Europe.....

The tank of Bernd Mohr is an example

bm_04-05_12.jpg

bm_04-05_12.jpg

bm_04-05_6.jpg

Plus manufactures are coming out with some cool looking lamps.

56f8e1a257d427fa029b53f274ce1296.jpg

I just visited a tank locally here yesterday. It was all T5 lighting and the SPS was gorgeous. His pink prostrata with blue tips was almost red in color.

look at the xenia in bernards tank...... they most not bother the SPS at all?? Maybe they add water filtration as well??

I just set up some t5s in my tank but I'm wondering if it would work with SPS. Maybe I'll slowly start with something low maintenance like digitatas or something.

Lord Helmet,
What do you dose in your tank? If anything at all?

Hopefully soon enough we can all upgrade to LED lighting which produces little heat and virtually no bulb replacement.

:smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8133609#post8133609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icliao
Hopefully soon enough we can all upgrade to LED lighting which produces little heat and virtually no bulb replacement.

:smokin:
I second that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8134255#post8134255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PotysGSXR
That's what I want to know.

BTW, LED lighting is available now just at a ridiculously high price is all... :(

That is what I mean hopefully "soon."

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8133852#post8133852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dr. JMadscientist
What is the benefit in running t5's on an sps tank?

Less heat...less electricity.

The heat is actually very considerable and to achieve the same output as a MH, the electric consumption is the same, if not more.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8135652#post8135652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dr. JMadscientist
The heat is actually very considerable and to achieve the same output as a MH, the electric consumption is the same, if not more.

Heat considerable? Naaa.. Not with T5's NOTHING like halides.. As far as electricity goes I'm not that sure but I was under the impression that T5's run off a fraction of what halides do. Of course I could be wrong. But the heat thing.. I think thats a no brainer.

Back