T5 or VHO

Steven1015

Im buying the lighting for my 90gal the tank is 26 inches tall i plan on keeping mostly LPS in the tank. As for the light i was thinking of going with a 4 buld VHO setup with a icecap ballast this would be the cheapest setup for me and i believe this would be plenty of light for what i wanna keep or at least i think it would be. My other option was i would have to get 2 ice cap ballasts and run 6 T-5s over the tank this would cost me a bit more. Is there any major advantage to the t-5s over the VHOs. I know the VHOs will produce alot more heat but i will just put a canopy fan on and the room is air conditioned in the summer.

26 inches is pretty deep. You aren't going to get the light penetration you need for SPS, with floresence.
For SPS you will need MH.
150watts up to 18" deep
250watts up to 24" deep
400watts up to 36" deep

well its good that i have no intention of keeping sps like i said i plan on keeping LPS in the tank thats why i felt like this would be suffiecient lighting but is there any advantage to the t-5s of the VHO in terms of cost it seems the VHOs would be much cheaper for me and they put out more watts although i know that doesnt always mean there better.

Back