Talk me out of Freshwater

RUFISHY2

So, I've been out of the hobby for a while. The last system I had was over a thousand gallons, and it was an overcomplicated nightmare with display tanks in multiple rooms, a frag tank, a refugium, a sump...just a plumbing nightmare. When I took it down, I decided when I get up again, it would just be one big tank.

Ive begun the planning for a 470 Gallon plywood tank. (interior dimensions 7x3x3) When I started planning it out, I had every intention of going with a reef tank. As I get more and more involved with the planning, and costs are rising, I get anxiety remembering all the work of the last system, and the fact that it drove my power bill up by a couple hundred dollars a month.

Does anyone in the forum have experience with freshwater? Am I in for just as much work? It just seems so much simpler. (definitely cheaper) I'm kind of surprised that I would even consider it, I've always been a marine guy.

So, I guess the real question I have is, I've been out of it for a while, and I don't even know whats available. If I go reef what's the latest and greatest in terms of skimmers, lights, etc.? Initial cost is definitely a factor, but probably not as big a factor as energy consumption. Also, I would consider myself an above average DIYer...

If you went freshwater again you wouldn't get our stimulating conversations here in the SW VA club forum. Lol

My only freshwater experience was a 5 gal tank with some breeding orange swordtail mollies and a few loaches.
Never did get plants to grow all that well, but I didn't really know what they needed.

There's something about a reef tank that is more interesting, to me, like the colors and movement.
That and the wow factor when people don't realize what can be done in such a small tank.
Fresh water is the generic thought when someone says they have an aquarium imo.

I'm sure this doesn't really help your decision though [emoji14]

FW is probably a lot easier, but a reef tank has the wow factor. If you do a fresh water tank the size you are talking about I will bet you will get bored after it is a completed project just my opinion as I know I would be.

If you would like you are welcome to come by sometime and see what is available and has changed in the reef hobby. I have a 400g system and a 300g system and various types of equipment both budget and high end stuff. It would maybe give you some Ideas.

I keep a 120g Tanganyikan species only tank still. I love the look of a large breeding colony of Tropheus Moori. Definitely look into Frontosa or Tropheus from lake Tanganyika in Africa. With your sized tank you could do almost anything and it doesn't have to cost that much. If you went planted tank with discus you can get into money for the fish, RODI and CO2 dosing, but I think a tank full of nice showy discus or Tropheus is just as much of a wow factor as any reef tank (except Jorge's). Plus they will breed and supposedly you can sell the fry for a nice little profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am a huge fan of Cichlids as well, Mbuna actually got me into the hobby. I set up a 125 with North/Central American Cichlids in May and I love those big mean suckers!

Hey! you guys are talking me IN to freshwater. Honestly, I'm still not sure, but regardless, I'll still post some pics of the actual tank build. I'm just searching for the best price on a ginormous piece of glass. So far Glass Cages beats the local guys by a long shot. Any suggestions?

Hey! you guys are talking me IN to freshwater. Honestly, I'm still not sure, but regardless, I'll still post some pics of the actual tank build. I'm just searching for the best price on a ginormous piece of glass. So far Glass Cages beats the local guys by a long shot. Any suggestions?

Sorry! I have three reef tanks and wouldn't trade them in for the world. I love the colors and growing coral. You definitely can't frag anything with FW :)

I love the FW because it is low maintenance and low cost compared to my SW tanks. Plus, it was what got me into the hobby initially.

Just pick a set up that works for your budget and time constraints. And get water in your tank :)

Back