tang question

Joe0813

Hello everyone.... two questions,

1... does anyone have experience with a Blue Caribbean Tang? are they aggressive? Im upgrading to a 180 reef ready and im looking to get three different tangs... A blue hippo, kole or tomini and this blue caribbean tang... If its not overly aggressive towards other tangs

2... How would i introduce these? I know tangs should be last in the tank in general, but how would i introduce three at the same time? i only have a 30 gallon QT so i wont be able to put them all in there without issues?

I've kept a couple of these blue tangs over the years, both of which were model citizens IMO. Great personality, and real easy to feed.
I'm not sure how you would go about adding all three of those fish at the same time though. They've got to go through the proper channels first. (QT)

However you go about this, Good luck.

i definitely will be QTing these fish.... i just dont know how i can qt all them at the same time

i definitely will be QTing these fish.... i just dont know how i can qt all them at the same time
You can't. At least not in one tank. If adding all three fish at the same time is your goal you have to setup three QTs. One huge QT tank won't work since each fish might have different conditions. You can use your sump is a buffer or you can just rearrange your rockwork every time you add new tang and hope for the best.

btw. Nothing here is guaranteed to work. Within their species each fish has its own personality :)

i just dont want to add them separate and have them fight because they already have their territory

I have three tangs in my 200, all purchased and introduced at separate times. They are all three different Genera & species (purple, lavender and hippo) so they've gotten along just fine, but I would recommend purchasing the smallest ones you can find. They tend to be less aggressive and territorial when small and tend to get along better in the long run when they "grow up" together.

I used to worry all the time about when to introduce what. I've come to the conclusion that, with most fish, it doesn't matter. Tangs are either aggressive or semi-aggressive whatever that means. I don't think they are territorial (like clownfish), especially when new to the tank. None of the tangs on your list are the real aggressive types (clown tangs, sohals, etc). I'd introduce them one at a time after QT. Expect some pecking order squabbles and they should be fine. I'd keep the QT handy;if it gets past the pecking order stage; put the senior fish in the QT for a week or so and re-introduce them. Even wussy tangs are not wussy fish; don't panic with the initial little squabbles.

Well I guess we can wait and see then see what happens... does anyone have a blue Caribbean tang?

Actually.... Instead of a blue tang..... I'm looking at a purple tang or a powder blue tang... was looking at a Achilles tang but I don't think I'm experienced enough and I've read they are more of a expert fish

Last edited:
i think the safest route would be kole/tomini, then blue hippo, and finally purple/atlantic blue/powder blue. I rarely read about aggressive bristletooth tangs or hippo tangs but purple and powder blues alomst always turn out to be assertive fish and i would assume the same with the atlantic blue.

Get the purple before the Middle East flares up big-time. That shuts down Red Sea fish and drives prices sky high.. BTW, I think PBTs are easy, if quarantined properly and given enough space. Lots of different experiences from different folks with all of these fish; and they're all correct. Also, I kept an Atlantic blue tang many years ago, IMO a rather boring tang...but they're the favorites of many people too.

I've seen lots of accounts of aggressive Atlantic blue tangs, and some of passive ones. I got one when it was tiny and it was extremely aggressive. I didn't keep it for long before giving it away because it was so obnoxious. In fact, I was at a LFS earlier today and saw one a little larger than a quarter. It was frantically trying to get at the percula clownfish in the cube next to it. The clown was slightly larger than it an totally oblivious, but the itty bitty Atlantic was in full on agro-mode trying to attack. No idea why, but I don't think I'll be trying one again any time soon. :lol:

I'm not getting a Atlantic blue tang anymore...the picture on live aquaria made them look like a yellow blueish color which I liked but then I searched and Google and when they are older the yellow fades away leaving you with a boring fish. So im looking at powder blue tangs but keep hearing horror stories of how aggressive they can be

suggustions for the last tang?? I definitely want the hippo and a kole.... so i am open to suggestions on a tang that will get along with the other two in a 180 gallon...

You can barrier off part of the qt with eggcrate. Just be sure it doesn't slip.

I was actually thinking of doing that.... but what if one has ich and the other doesn't. Then Id just have to treat them both

Powder brown tang?
When adding them put a mirror up to the glass for the first day while everyone gets used to each other.

Back