Tang sloughing?

Stanley-Reefer

My sohal is hitting yet another growth spurt it seems and I can see fait "sloughing" of his skin where the new lines/colors are expanding.

Anyone else seen this with tang growth?

He's also working out a new set of teeth--I realize they shed them, just not much discussion on the shedding of skin.

It's perfectly healthy and eating like a horse.

It was about 3.5-4" when I got it about 2.5 years ago and now it's about 15" long and 2" thick:lol:

That doesn't sound good or normal. Your probably going to have to post a picture.

Is it possible with the new growth spurt, it's starting to outgrow it's sleeping spot, favorite cruising spot, etc. and getting scratched up when settling in for the night? At a certain point, once my Acanthurus xanthopterus reached maybe 13", she started waking up in the morning covered in fresh superficial scratches. Usually by the end of the day they were nearly healed. I would have never described them as sloughing, but I've seen everything from shaved flesh to scratches and puncture wounds cause by fish hitting live rock. I ended up enlarging her bed and she's been perfect ever since. Post a pic, I'm sure you'll get better replies.

I've heard of sedentary fish like lions and such doing this, but not tangs. A pic would be great.

I've never seen this, I had a large tang that went from 6" to 12" in under a year and never witnessed anything near what you're describing.

I've had friends with large sohals and nasos and never seen this either...

I'd love to see a picture.

Back