Tangs in my aquarium?

atnaquariums

Hello everybody, I have a 120 gallon FOWLR aquarium. Some of my live rock and parts of the acrylic have been getting covered in green algae and I am looking for a fish which would help get rid of the algae. The algae isn't a major problem (fish are healthy, low nitrates and phosphates), but I would still like to have fish which can control the algae. I tried various inverts, but my Ornate Wrasse goes after them as soon as they get in the tank and none of them have lasted more than a few days without being eaten. I have started looking at some Tangs, but most of them would be too large for my tank. What fish can help with the algae and not outgrow my aquarium? Thanks.

120 FOWLR
1) Tahitain Butterfly Fish
2) Juvenile Ornate Wrasse
3) Juvenile Harlequin Tusk
4) Coral Beauty Angelfish
5) Diamond Goby

Any of the Bristletooth family would work. I've got a Tomini in my 120. You might also consider a lawnmower blennie

How old is your tank? I see you joined in October, if it is a new tank an algae bloom is very common. What are your PO4 snd NO3 levels? Are you doing water changes? How large is your tank? How much live rock?

Fish are seldom the answer for algae.

How old is your tank? I see you joined in October, if it is a new tank an algae bloom is very common. What are your PO4 snd NO3 levels? Are you doing water changes? How large is your tank? How much live rock?

Fish are seldom the answer for algae.

My tank is over 2 years old. I do 30% water changes monthy. My nitrates and phosphates are below 10 ppm. The algae isn't taking over or anything, I would just like to have a fish that would eat it, since most of my fish are carnivores. The tank is 120 gallons with around 100 pounds of live rock.

Any of the Bristletooth family would work. I've got a Tomini in my 120. You might also consider a lawnmower blennie

I have considered a lawnmower blenny, but I am worried my Harlequin Tusk might munch him. I am definitely looking at Bristletooth tangs. I like your idea about the Tomini Tang.

Thanks for the information.

I had an uncontrollable GHA out break a couple years ago and could only solve it by scrubbing all the algae off and then spraying with hydrogen peroxide rinses and putting back in tank.

My Kole Tang is the only tang I have had that actively, all day long - non stop, ate algae. The others ate nori but not growing algae.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

Another option is mollies. I've even had them eat cyanobacteria. Plus they are live bearers, so you if have males and females, you have fish that effectively turn algae into feeder fish. And those baby fish are also algae-eating machines.

Another option is mollies. I've even had them eat cyanobacteria. Plus they are live bearers, so you if have males and females, you have fish that effectively turn algae into feeder fish. And those baby fish are also algae-eating machines.

I have never really considered those fish. I really like them but I am worried my larger wrasse may eat them.

Back