Tank cleaning

jaylensdad06

I want a 75 gallon tank to build a sump for my 265 project. My wife just changed the rats cage from a 75 to a open at cage....the tank is an older non center braced tank with 3/4 glass all the way around..real sturdy....is there n e way to clean it good enough to use as a sump? IE bleach n vinegar....or is it too risky to use?

I want a 75 gallon tank to build a sump for my 265 project. My wife just changed the rats cage from a 75 to a open at cage....the tank is an older non center braced tank with 3/4 glass all the way around..real sturdy....is there n e way to clean it good enough to use as a sump? IE bleach n vinegar....or is it too risky to use?
I'd say a good vinegar bath would do the job or bleach to be sure. If it kills ich I'm sure it kills whatever rats have.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Look at the silicone very closely, ever rat I've had in a tank ends up chewing the silicone away and if they've been in there a few months then there are always leaks on the sides near the bottom. Since your tank is 3/4" glass they probably didn't eat away all of the silicone or pull enough out to have a leak, but I'd be nervous about the silicone that is left holding everything together, especially long term.

Look at the silicone very closely, ever rat I've had in a tank ends up chewing the silicone away and if they've been in there a few months then there are always leaks on the sides near the bottom. Since your tank is 3/4" glass they probably didn't eat away all of the silicone or pull enough out to have a leak, but I'd be nervous about the silicone that is left holding everything together, especially long term.

If the silicone is bad on the inside of the tank then remove just the inside silicone with a razor and rubbing alcohol making sure not to hit the silicone in between the seams. Do a water test to make sure the structural seams aren't compromised. If all is well, resilicone the inside of the tank and let it cure and your good to go. The silicone inside the tank is more of a extra "gasket" unlike the silicone between then seams that actually hold the tank together.
I had to do this on a 180 I got used on Craigslist that was nasty with the silicone on the inside cracking and falling apart. I did a week long test on my 180 with just the silicone in between the seams holding everything together with no issues. Its been holding water for almost 2 years now. If the silicone inside the tank is good then as others have said just disinfect it with bleach and then a vinegar bath and that will do the trick.

Back