Tank crashed...

Jfoster33702

Well... after 6 years of reefing..crash.

Went away camping this weekend. When I got home today, I found a cloudy mess. I do not have make up water ready, so I am making 5 gallons at a time, as fast as I can - which isn't that fast. Regardless, it looks like a total wipe. I still haven't seen the two fish.

A fuse in my Arctica chiller popped... I don't know why. I;m sure the temps got close to 100, which obviously cooked it. My entire sump looks like skimmer scum.

I'll either get the tank running again, re-estblish the rock and sell the system, or maybe I'll use this as an excuse to do a nice build-out of a new system.

crappy day.

Jeff

Jeff:

Sorry to hear about your tank. Having seen it in the past I know how much work you had put into it and how much you lost. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Mike

My tank is in a closet with the front facing our living room. The closet has a small fan vented to the outside, but that's only meant to provide enough airflow to allow the chiller to work - not to cool the entire tank :(

What can I use to turn off the lighting based on water temp?

reefkeeper II
and after this thread i think im going to save up for one.
i was fixin to ask if the reefkeeper would have possibly saved the day?
it also turns off the halides if the tank gets above a certain temp.

man so sorry to hear this did you have anyone watching it for you while you were gone ? was it just a 2 day capming trip .? wow thats sad to hear sorry for your loss. dont give up hope you can always make it better than before there are alot of oopsies in this hobbie i v found so far and many more to come. if ya need anythind im in st pete too
DL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8080611#post8080611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by markandkristen
reefkeeper II
and after this thread i think im going to save up for one.
i was fixin to ask if the reefkeeper would have possibly saved the day?
it also turns off the halides if the tank gets above a certain temp.

Yes, turning off my halides because of water temp would have saved it. :( I didn't even know that my chiller had a fuse..

It's still nasty. I was only able to do a few 5gal water changes last night - so I'll be at it again tonight... gotta clear it up so I can dig out all the dead snails/fish/other - nasty.

AC jr. It can e-mail you, page you, or text message if there is a problem. Hooks up to a computer and their Aquanotes pro version will alert you to an issue that needs to take care of. It will also turn off the halides due to overheating.

aquacontroller is what I use. there is also the reefkeeper and octopus and alot of new german stuff. the aquacontroller is one of the best investments I have ever made for my system.
sorry to hear about the nightmare but what you have is probably a bacteria bloom and will more than likely clear up when all the death has been eaten by it. doing water changes removes some of the bacteria you want to keep and very little contaminates. unless you can do a big water change I am not sure i would waste the water doing small ones. borrowing an extra skimmer is probably your best bet to remove the bacteria as it dies and big water changes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8081324#post8081324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cschweitzer
AC jr. It can e-mail you, page you, or text message if there is a problem. Hooks up to a computer and their Aquanotes pro version will alert you to an issue that needs to take care of. It will also turn off the halides due to overheating.
i think thats a cool feature the emailing part.
but one thing. what if you have a power outtage doesnt that wipe out the computer too. im just curious what would happen

doesn't have to be connected to your computer at all but only a dialer. power outtages are just that and you are screwed. but the aquacontrollers have battery backup and do not lose memory and may dial after power comes back on if something is out of wack. you have to tell it why it needs to call you. ph orp temp or whatever can dial you.

thank robthorn.
was just curious. after i posted i thought about it.
and since this was a fuse problem rather than a power outage it would have saved the day prob.

one could only hope. may have been a power surge from all the storms we are having and the compressor tried to restart real fast and was still under high pressure drawing higher amps.
did you replace the fuse in the chiller and does it still work?

I came home today to a house that was 99F... Coils froze up on my A/C (first time that I can remember that happening).

Luckly the tank was only 82. My Reefkeeper kept the fans blowing at full blast (no chiller)...

Coils have thawed and I'm cleaning them now. Hope it was only dirty coils!

My AC did that when I was building my stand and canopy, when I was sanding the crapola to it, tons of saw dust clogged the filter and froze the coils up, the only reason I know that was the cause was because, I was working at a house re-modeling it and I was doing alot of mudding and sanding and the same thing happend the same exact time!!!! So just to be safe check your filter and make sure its clear!!! :)

good reason to use pleated filters. traps all that junk before it gets to the coils and cost you more to have it cleaned.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8081695#post8081695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robthorn
aquacontroller is what I use. there is also the reefkeeper and octopus and alot of new german stuff. the aquacontroller is one of the best investments I have ever made for my system.
sorry to hear about the nightmare but what you have is probably a bacteria bloom and will more than likely clear up when all the death has been eaten by it. doing water changes removes some of the bacteria you want to keep and very little contaminates. unless you can do a big water change I am not sure i would waste the water doing small ones. borrowing an extra skimmer is probably your best bet to remove the bacteria as it dies and big water changes.

Actually, I had huge die off. I had a lot of LPS and softies plus a couple largish Caps and they are all gone or bleached, diluted into the water. The skimmer had pumped foam over the side and into the entire sump (the sump looked like the skimmer). It's just huge die-off and Ive done about 1/2 water change already..starting to clear up a little. I've found a couple snails and a nice tube worm sick, but alive. Still no sign of the two fish.

I cant really use my skimmer. Even on the lowest setting, it bubles over almost instantly and pushes the lid off. I'll do another 15-20 gallons tomorrow - then it will be clear enough for me to find and fish out all the dead snails and stuff.. phew.

Jeff

Back