Tank OD on Coral-Vite?

iSeeMax101

50g cube
13g sump

So a few months back I decided to start dosing a bit with Kent Marine "Coral Vite". I have stuck to what it said to do on the bottle. One day while I'm using the syringe and extracting the liquid i spilled more than the recommended dosage into the tank. This was 4 months ago. I didn't think there would be drastic consequences since they were only vitamins.:headwalls:

2 weeks later I performed my regularly scheduled water change. Decided to change a tad bit more out since the spillage happened. Probably should have done the water change same day now in retrospect.

Today:
My green monte caps have pretty much been browning out. Not sure if their totally dead yet. That was the only real amount of sps i had in the tank so its a little discouraging. GPS is fine. Frog Spawn is fine. Another no named sps that I got from Monkie is on the fringe and haven't see a polyp in over 2 months. Probably gone. Had a thriving mini colony of Meteor Shower cyphastrea that I also got from Monkie... gone... mummy eye chalice seems to be holdin on alright. Seems to have grown some since the spill lol

fish, all alive
inverts, all alive
pride, damaged

These small talks are such a hassle. When I had 300+ gallon tanks Ive never had an issue. I just changed water with quality salt and called it a day.

Im just venting.
This post has no real substance.
I should probably just delete it but since I haven't posted anything in god knows how long.... This is for you

Last edited:
Sg is 1.025
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0

Using basic dip stick. Red Sea was expired. Threw that out before the spill. Haven't gotten another kit since. Lost some motivation. Not sure how much went into the tank tbh. The cap was off. 8 fl oz in the bottle so I'm guessing 1/2 - 3/4 oz when I have been dosing 5ml since I didn't have a high load.

If you only spilled 1/2 - 3/4 of an oz extra, I doubt that could be the problem. You need to stop using the test strips as they aren't very accurate. If you have SPS you should also consider testing phosphate alk and calcium.

yea probably a good idea. I manually dose calcium. nothing in place for alk. My phosphates are not running wild. I clean the glass about 2 a month and its never extreme. Ive never been big into sps so calcium and alk have never been a large enough concern. maybe its time I become a responsible reefer and quit 1/2 a$$ing it and learn to keep something other than frog spawn alive correctly.

If you dont have a lot of sps and not planning to go full sps; you might not need alk/calc test kit. I didn't check alk/calc when my tank was mainly softies/lps. Regular water changes should keep up with alk/calc.

How much water are you changing? and your doing it every 2 weeks?

I think your calc should be fine. Mag can be low but it's not that critical.. Alk should be replenished. They get consumed faster than Calc imo. so if anything, only test Alk

ditch the ammonia and nitrite test. not gonna see those numbers again unless u totally screw up.

It prob has nothing to do with you adding too much. If anything youd get a spike in nitrates, or an algae or cyano bloom. Its probably to do with your alk cal and or mag. Low mag will cause issues as well. Also check your phosphates.

It prob has nothing to do with you adding too much. If anything youd get a spike in nitrates, or an algae or cyano bloom. Its probably to do with your alk cal and or mag. Low mag will cause issues as well. Also check your phosphates.

+1 Get your levels correct in calcium, alk, mag, and phosphates and you can keep anything you want. You're half azz there now do the other half and be a full azz! jk. :debi:

+1 Get your levels correct in calcium, alk, mag, and phosphates and you can keep anything you want. You're half azz there now do the other half and be a full azz! jk. :debi:

Haha for sure. I took some water into the Lfs and had it tested. The Mag was super low. I'm going to see who has what and any test kits available now so I won't have these issues again and start down the path of sps FINALLY!

Haha for sure. I took some water into the Lfs and had it tested. The Mag was super low. I'm going to see who has what and any test kits available now so I won't have these issues again and start down the path of sps FINALLY!

I'm sure you can find all you need this weekend at Reef A Palooza.

Back