Tank of the Month - April '06

Gary I know I dont hang out in the urs forums as much since I moved but congrats on TOTM,I am still sad i never got to see it in person maybee when i come back north to visit

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7137064#post7137064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mildew
Gary, Congratulations on TOTM! Beautiful! It's great to see the home of the mini carpets I got from you last fall. Thanks so much for sharing. Nobody here had ever seen them before. I received 3 and I think there are now 7. Thanks again. They are really special and so is you aquarium.
Thanks! :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7192814#post7192814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by downset
Gary I know I dont hang out in the urs forums as much since I moved but congrats on TOTM,I am still sad i never got to see it in person maybee when i come back north to visit
If you come back up north make sure to stop by and see the new arrangement.

I recently bought a rock of blue Xenia. Then Xenia melted away within 2 weeks only to reveal a pink and green Stichodactyla tapetum. I, along with several other people, didn't know what it was (including the LFS owner that sold the rock). It wasn't until I saw your TOTM that I said, "hey that is what I have."

It now has it's own 30gal with a LTA and a pair of clowns. Would love to get more of these amazing little guys. Where did you find the multiple color morphs you have? I saw you got one as a hitcher as well, but all of them?

Congrats and thanks in advance.
Steve

Hi Steve. The smaller green and pink anemones were hitch hikers.
The larger (different colored) morphs were purchased from a LFS in California.
Feed your anemone HUFA enriched frozen Mysids and frozen Cyclopeeze regularly and it will reproduce by splitting.

impressive, pretty display of unique species. I like the carpets and the feeding regiment sounds similar to my thoughts. good to see people progress.
Hank

Very nice tank Gary.

Well thought out and a beautifull mix of interesting species......or an interesting mix of beautifull species:D

Well deserved!

Chris

Gary....in the photos on the TOTM page, you have a "Clove"-typ coral with green "eyes." Is that Clavularia? IMO it's spectacular and I wonder if you can say where you got that? Your tank is something great to look at and....well...Bravo!

thanks, folks!

thanks, folks!

Is this the coral you're referring to, Avi?
IMG_1703keeper.jpg

That's the one. I look at it and say to myself that it's Clavularia, but it's not one that's often seen and I am always on the lookout for rarer types of those. So, the only other kind of coral that I could conceive of it being is some sort of Pipe-organ Coral. But, the polyps seem too ornate for that. I'd hope that you can sell me what it is and, even better, where I'd have a hope of getting some of it. THANKS, Gary.

Beautiful Tank.

What supplements do you add to the tank? Iodine, etc?

Thanks for your time to answer this question. :)
Michelle

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246195#post7246195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 15nano
Love the anemone's
I'm fond of anemones too.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7257044#post7257044 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
Have you had the Majestic since he was young? has he ever picked on any corals? ......it's a beautiful fish and tank!
I had the Majestic when it was young. It didn't pick on anything for several months and then destroyed a Cynarina over a 48 hour period, which was kind of anticipated. Angelfish are likely to destroy "open brain" type corals IME. I've seen this type of behavior with several other Angelfish species.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7257909#post7257909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sltwtrlvr
Beautiful Tank.

What supplements do you add to the tank? Iodine, etc?

Thanks for your time to answer this question. :)
Michelle
No "supplements" per se.
I monitor alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium levels.
I run a calcium reactor and topoff for evaporation is kalkwasser.
Regular partial water changes and foods fed to the aquarium provide major and minor "trace elements".

thats so cool he hasn't eaten any sps!
i tried an emporer and he started eating a couple of mine within a week :( so he had to go....but now that i've set up my new 210g i want try another angel?

what type calcium reactor?

Back