Tank of the Month - August '06

I recently visited oregonreef and let me tell you, it's even more impressive in person. The cleanest install I have ever set eyes on. Virtually no wires visible. He has cold tanks in his equipment room that are stunning. Hopefully he will start posting pics of them soon.

Ralf,

Your tank, system, detail and design are pure art work, to say the least. Well done, and what a great example for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing your hard work and passion. It is really appreciated.

-marinenut

jnarowe,
looking forward to seeing the pics and maybe getting an actual glimpse of the equipment room.

marinenut,
thanks and welcome btw.

How does the group of six-line wrasse react to each other??? Do they school or do they roam there own territory's??? Also is there a color difference between male and female six-lines???

Joshuab,
well, they do not school at all.
There are some few agressions between them, but no hard fights.
I was told, that if not putting them together in the tank, the later added will be killed.
From time to time, I see two of them together patroling around the reefpylons and coral, normally they are doin' this alone here.
They're to be found very close to the stones/coral, searching for food.
About an hour/half an hour before light goes off, about two times a week, I see about 3 of them together in the freewater near the surface spawning. (Anthias-party)
I can't see a color difference, only sex-difference I can make out is that females have a round belly (well, the eggs have to be somewhere).

Ralf

wow

wow

wow just stunning !!!!:D beautiful !!! word cant say how stunning this tank is just 1 thing why did/have u not added an angel fish not or dwarf angelfish that is all i feel this tank needs. but a truely stunning tank o and sorry for any rong spelling
thx :)

wow

wow

wow just stunning:D !!!! beautiful !!! word cant say how stunning this tank is just 1 thing why did/have u not added an angel fish or dwarf angelfish that is all i feel this tank needs. but a truely stunning tank o and sorry for any rong spelling
thx :)

You're too nice.

bad badger 1,
I am somewhat SPS and a little LPS mad ;-).
I don't know an Angelfish species, that I would consider SPS-safe.
Regarding SPS they should be called Devilfishes :).
The Pygme (dwarf) Angelfishes are IMHO somewhat safer, but still a risk.
I once had a pair of Flame angels (Centropyge loriculus) in a prior tank, that did not
touch my SPS at all.
You're right, they're beauties, moving different from other fishes.
If the surgeons are bigger, coralgrow still good and still no NO3 detectable, I maybe give
them a chance (but that will take 1-2 years from now). In a tank like this, there is no way
back, I don't think that I can catch them out again.

For now, the only thing I would add is a small harem (1,2) of Pseudochromis fridmani.
Btw., I gave away the one goby (Amblygobius phalaena) that wasn't killed by the Kole tang and replaced it with a (smaller) pair of Valenciennea muralis 3 days ago.
They've already built their cave and sleep there at night.
Strange but great, The Kole ignores them totally! No fights anymore!

Ralf

Awesome system

This may be earlier in the thread (my apologies if it is) but you said the Copperband has no interest in the aiptasia. I take it then that you have aiptasia in the tank - what are you doing to control it? I just set my tank up and there is some so was thinking of the CBB (been joe's juicing so far).

Funny - it seems to work for some not others. I put a small drop on the mouth of the aip and it shrivels up...then is gone within hours. Even fairly large ones (little bigger drop of Juice). Maybe it is the type of aip? but new ones do pop up (differnt place) so i am controlling the population but not eliminating it. Thus the idea of a CBB.

I put in 2 peppermints Saturday and they too seemed to disappear. I spotted one Monday morning for a second but not since. Going to give them some time to see if they control the aip problem first. Not planning on corals for a long time so the CBB isn't so bad for me if I have to. We'll see. I think the CBB is a very nice looking fish but if I don't need it for the aips, I'll probably look towards other butterflyfish.

In the moment, I can make out 3 Aiptasia in the tank.
I guess there are more.
I am killing the ones I see and from time to time another one pops up somewhere.
I use 15% HCl in a ?syringe? with needle and inject it directly into the Aiptasia.
NaOH should also work.
Of course one has to be very careful with it, also with the total amount used
for not raising or dropping the pH.
If using HCl I am ready to suck the Aip. away with a tube in case the remains starts to float
around. HCl destroys the LR at the place where it is injected a little, so the floating might happen.
I also thought about peppermints and maybe Berghia snails, but doubt that they'll find the few anemones in the tank. Berghia snails dying if no Aiptasia to be found.
Joe's juice didn't work for me :(.
Ralf

Spotted one of the peppermints today, and only one new aip. thinking that the peppermint may be doing the job. Well, hoping anyway!
Why do you think the peppermints wouldn't find the aips?

jdhanover,
can see only 3 aips on 870gal.
Thats lot of stones to search and lots of other food-sources to find on the way.
Well, maybe I'll give 'em a chance anyway.
Ralf

Just trying to help. You may be right (I don't think in terms of 870 gallons!) - you might need a handful of them. Problem I have found with the aips is they sure to multiply if you dont stay on top of them. But your system is so much bigger and better that I may be way off.

jdhanover,
well, bigger yes, but better depends on personal view.
Thanks for mentioning them. A handful may well be the right idea.
As I understand, they will not harm anything in my tank and will live from other foodsources
if no Aiptasia found (anymore).So why not...
Usually I prefer the biological way and with a tanksize like this, there are always more
hidingplaces than you can search.
Next time I see them in a LFS, I'll take some home.
Thanks, Ralf

Back